1 |

As I stood in front of the tall mirror in my chamber, the morning sun filtered through the lace curtains, casting a soft, golden light across the room. My maids, Alice and Margaret, fussed around me, smoothing the folds of my gown and pinning the last strands of my hair into place. The pale blue silk of my dress felt cool against my skin, a stark contrast to the warmth of the room. I took a deep breath, attempting to calm the storm of nerves swirling within me.

This would be my first meeting with Lord Edward Hawthorne, the man to whom I was to be betrothed. A man of whom I knew very little, save for the reputation that preceded him—a reputation as cold and distant as the winter winds. But there was no room for hesitation. My father's business, once the pride of our family, was teetering on the brink of collapse, and this marriage was the only way to secure our future. It pained me deeply to think that my art, my one true passion, was being sacrificed for the sake of a union born out of necessity, rather than love.

My hands itched to be back in my studio, where the smell of linseed oil and canvas was a balm to my soul. I could lose myself for hours in the world of colors and shapes, where every stroke of the brush brought a sense of freedom that nothing else in life could offer. But now, I was to trade that freedom for the suffocating confines of duty.

"Miss Isabella, do hold still," Alice chided gently as she secured the final pin in my hair. I offered her a small, apologetic smile, my thoughts far too heavy to share.

"I do apologize, Alice. It seems my mind is as restless as my body this morning."

Margaret, who was adjusting the hem of my gown, glanced up with a knowing look. "It's only natural, miss. A first meeting with one's intended is bound to be a bit unsettling."

I nodded, though my heart felt heavier than ever. Would Lord Edward be as cold and unfeeling as the rumors suggested? Or would there be some glimmer of warmth beneath his stoic exterior? I could only hope that he was a man of decency, one who might understand the predicament in which we found ourselves.

"There," Margaret said, rising to her feet and stepping back to admire her handiwork. "You look as lovely as a spring morning, miss."

"Thank you, Margaret. And thank you, Alice," I said, trying to muster enthusiasm. I had to be strong, for myself and for my family. With one last glance in the mirror, I turned and made my way downstairs, where the familiar sounds of the household greeted me like an old friend.

As I entered the dining room, I found my younger sister, Seraphina, seated at the table, already nibbling on a piece of toast. Her golden curls framed her cherubic face, and her blue eyes sparkled with mischief as she looked up at me.

"Good morning, dearest sister," I said, taking a seat beside her.

"Good morning, Isabella," Seraphina replied, her voice bright and cheerful. She paused, eyeing my attire with a teasing smile. "My, my, aren't we the picture of elegance today! Are you certain you're not attending a ball instead of meeting your suitor?"

I couldn't help but laugh, grateful for the moment of levity. "Oh, Seraphina, if only it were a ball! I would much prefer a waltz or two over what lies ahead."

Seraphina grinned, buttering another slice of toast with exaggerated care. "Perhaps you should twirl into the parlor, then, and see if Lord Hawthorne is moved to join you in a dance."

"Somehow, I doubt he would be so inclined," I said, rolling my eyes with a smile. "From what I hear, Lord Hawthorne is more likely to discuss the virtues of accounting ledgers than dance the night away."

Seraphina giggled, nearly spilling her tea. "Well, in that case, perhaps you should bring one of your paintings and see if you can impress him with your skill. Surely that would be more interesting than talk of numbers!"