Green With Envy

Normally, Hyunwoo wasn't one to be invested in gossip, so he let the rumours fly by without paying attention as he walked through the hallways. After all, in a school of the elite, gossip was more than a mere source of entertainment, it was a tool, a weapon. Gossip was how people manipulated the masses without being held responsible for their actions, it was a powerful tool, but an awful one that Hyunwoo would never allow himself to be involved in. However, his ears pricked at the conversation beside him today because he heard a familiar name.

Hong Haein.

"Did you see? Hong Haein and Yoon Eunsung arrived at school together today."

"In the same car?"

"Yes. They didn't even try to hide it, their driver dropped them right in front of the main gate and they strode in like the country's next chaebol power couple. It was a sight to behold, Hong Haein has a powerful aura on her own, but paired with Yoon Eunsung? It's simply a match made in heaven. They would definitely make headlines if they ever announced their marriage."

"Isn't that what his parents are planning to do? They've been maintaining close ties with the Hongs ever since their kids were toddlers, having playdates just so that their kids would be close. They're absolute geniuses though, imagine the power you would have being connected to the Hongs. They're so lucky to have that window of opportunity, a union like that is one in a billion."

"Do you think they're dating again? I heard that they dated over a year ago but broke up, and it was Haein who initiated the breakup. Do you see the way he looks at her whenever she passees by? He's clearly not over her."

"I mean, it's just a matter of time. How can you not fall for Yoon Eunsung? He has everything, the money, the power and the dashing good looks."

"I heard that he didn't even pick her up from her house, they came together from his!"

"Heol! That's crazy. Did she spend the night with him? They're definitely en route to getting back together."

"Wasn't she involved with Baek Hyunwoo too? What a lucky brat, she has two of the hottest guys in school under her thumb."

"I'm pretty sure Baek Hyunwoo is just a fling. He's hot and all with all the right attributes, but she'll go for Yoon Eunsung if she knows what's good for her. Hyunwoo is all fun and games for her, who wouldn't want to have some fun with the cute athlete? Yoon Eunsung is the one who can actually match her place in the pyramid, while Baek Hyunwoo is at the bottom. She's smart, she knows what she's doing."

"I'm surprised that Yoon Eunsung doesn't mind her messing around with Baek Hyunwoo. Isn't he the possessive type?"

"I mean, if she's still screaming his name under him at the end of the day, I guess it wouldn't matter."

Hyunwoo's hands tightened into rock hard fists. He hated hearing them talk about her like this, as if she was someone with no morals, someone who would cheat in a relationship. How could something so vile and rotten come out of their mouths? He'd heard enough rumours before coming to this school about its merciless inhabitants, but now he was witnessing it for himself. It was more of a sparring arena than an educational institution.

Haein wasn't like that. She wouldn't sleep around just for the fun of it, she was more likely to stay up late trying to study than whatever bullshit they were making up about her. He wanted to defend her, to raise his voice and make sure that everyone in the vicinity heard him loud and clear, but he couldn't. If he went out of his way for her like that, the entire school would talk, and Haein would be furious. They had an unspoken agreement to keep their friendship a secret, and he wasn't certain that she would remain friends with him once that pact was broken.