Chapter 3: Letter Three.

Chapter Three.

         I shifted uncomfortably in my seat, although I could only envision getting home to check the mailbox. I wondered, gleefully, if that big envelope would be awaiting me on the table when I came in. I could already see the beautiful scripture across the front of it that had been so neatly placed there by a steady hand. A steady hand that belonged to a true gentlemen. Gentlemen are so hard to find now-and-days. For one to have found me was a real treat.

      A subtle tap on my shoulder blade made me jump. Glimpsing over, I realized it was Jessica. She cocked her head at me and then grinned, "Thinking about the mystery man, are we?" She smirked, not so good-naturedly and added, "Miss Cassidy who will forever remain single."

      I scowled at her briefly. Jessica always knew how to get under my skin, but that's what best friends do, isn't it? "Shut up, Jess." I warned briefly, "Or you won't be meeting my mystery man."

       "Oh, feisty. Ouch." Jessica looked bored. "So have you heard from him?" She asked, nudging my arm toward my pencil.

         I took it into my grip, not bothering to look at her, "Nope. Not yet."

        "Maybe he got bored with you." I caught Jessica as she shrugged from the corner of my eye and wondered for a moment if she could possibly be right. Could he be bored with me? NO! screamed my inner voice. And for some reason, I trusted that little voice. 

                                                                                   * * * *

          The bell rang and kids busted out into the street. They were talking, laughing, and running away from school. It was a untypically cold winters day in Memphis and every last one of us was excited, because, winter had finally come. A week of being free from the burden of school. For everyone of us, it meant something different. For me and Sue: Church. The year had moved so fast, it was already December, after all.

       I met Sue at the drug store. We bought a couple malts and after finishing them, we headed on our way home. A few people stopped us, but we were used to that. Sue and I stopped to chat for a moment but before long, we were on the dash home to avoid the street lights. Daddy always got testy when we were late coming home.

     We strolled through the front door to find momma at the table. "Hi mom." I gave her a quick wave. She looked up from the book on the table briefly to wave back.

     "There is mail for you, Cas." Momma held out the pink envelope and I damn near screamed. Biting my lip, I stifled the excited yelp and calmly collected the envelope from her hands. "Thanks momma."

       Sue was just as excited as I was. I could tell by the way she raced me up the stairs and into my room. She sat down on the piano bench and only smiled at me. I knew what she wanted but I ignored her and settled into my bed, kicking my shoes off to curl my feet under me while I sat down. I looked around the room, trying to prolong opening the letter but it wasn't only Sue I was torturing. I wanted to know what he had to say, too.

       Finally, after what felt like an eternity, I ran my nail along the top of the pink envelope and emptied to the contents into my hand. Sue giggled into her hands and I eyed her for a moment and then flipped the stationary open. The beautiful script stared back at me and it was suddenly becoming very hard to maintain the excitement I was feeling.

       I cleared my throat and began to read a loud:

"Dear Cassidy, 

My mother raised me right, believe me. She raised me the best way she knew how and for that, I am thankful. And it's funny that you mention looking forward to our letters. You're not the only one. You are perhaps the sweetest person I have ever had the honor of getting to know, even if it's only through letter.

I can sympathize with being shy. You're not the only one. I never looked at any girls in high school. They scared me... Is that even the right word? I believe not, but we will have to pretend that it is.

It's interesting that you mentioned playing the guitar for your music class. I did that a lot, too. I was a shy kid but man, when I got that guitar, I felt on top of the world. Music was my outlet, ya dig? I don't have a lot of them, but music is it.  Music is how I got my first girlfriend. She was a junior. Her name was Dixie Locke. Man, I loved her. 

But anyway, before I start to ramble about my past loves and bore you to death..." I could hear a voice, a voice that I associated with him snickering in my head as he wrote that, "I asked my mother if she ever saw you around. She said she might have. She works with a lot of people. She can't keep names and faces together very well. Momma is sure, though, that you are a fine southern girl. I told her about you. She even read our letters. I hope that's okay.

I thought about what you said, about coming to your church sometime. It's been a long time since I been to church. I'd really like to attend but I'm not sure that's a good idea. Like I told you, Cassidy. There are a lot of things that you don't know about me. I am not your everyday guy, but even saying that is saying to much. 

I have to go now, but until I hear from you, you are on the back roads of my mind. Hurry and get back to me, soon.

Forever yours,

The mystery man.

      As I  always did, I flipped the delicate piece of paper over in my hand and then sighed contently. Sue smirked, "Even that's saying to much? Who is this Southern Gentleman?"

    I shrugged, moving to my desk where I seated myself and pulled out a piece of stationary and a pen. The words flowed with ease this time. It was getting easier to write to him.

"Dear Mystery man,

I am pleased to hear from you again. I was thinking momentarily that you had forgotten about me. Not exactly something I wanted to have stuck in my brain. I enjoy our conversations, you're right, even if they're only letters from one another. I have been thinking about you and these letters for some unknown reason. I just can't wait for them to come lately.

I really enjoy music and my guitar and piano are perhaps my only true companions in life. That sounds odd, but my true passion is music. I can't make the words flow properly to write and I'm just flat out bad at math. I don't dig them like I do music, oh, and reading. That's another one of my loves.

Dixie? I knew her. She was a sweet girl. I don't know what happened to her, though. Hey! Dixie was dating Elvis for a little while. What a lucky girl, right? I'm not in love with him or anything but he's one hell of a gentleman. Anyway, I don't want to bore you half to death, so that's enough of that. We'll leave it at: yes, I knew Dixie.

I am sure I have seen your mother around, I just didn't know it. What is her name? I'll keep a look out for her. Maybe I know her, but not by name. I'm really bad at names, too. I don't know, I'm just really bad at that. I'll figure it out. Can I at least know your mothers name? I don't mean to pry. 

What do you mean, 'You've already told me to much'? You have hardly told me anything. I'd like to get to know you. Why are you so  shy? Oh... I'm sorry, I shouldn't ask questions. I didn't mean to irritate or press the issue. I'd like to get to know you, more though.

Until I hear from you again, I'll be waiting for you.

- Cassidy Mae."

       I read the letter over again, and when I was comfortable with it, I folded it and put it into it's envelope and addressed it. I darted down the stairs and walked to the end of the drive, dropping it into the mailbox and ran back inside. There were so many unanswered questions. I needed to know more but I couldn't press the issue. I knew that.

       It's true, I guess, Patience is a virtue.