Scar Part II

It was nearly midnight by the time he stopped running and put Evelyn down against a tree.

"So are you going to kill me," Evelyn barked, "one of your own?" She removed her sunglasses.

"You're an Ishvalan!" He was shocked, and for the first time he truly dedicated himself to observing her features. Her eyes were a bright red which were lighter and more feminine in shape than his blood colored ones. Her cheekbones were the high mountains that accented the smooth, flawless valleys of the rest of her face. Her hair of pure, untrodden snow melted and trickled down in a crystal stream to the small of her waist, and her lips were full and budded. His gaze returned to her eyes which held such intense sparks of compassion that it warmed even his steel heart and softened his sharp scowl. It was a shame to hide such beauty from the world.

"Why do you hide your eyes behind such objects?" He took the glasses from her and set them down.

"Well, not for style," she sneered, "No, there is much suspicion of our people in the military. I wear these to avoid discrimination."

He couldn't tear his eyes from hers. He was so fixed on them that he didn't notice the silence his speechlessness had created.

"Well? Are you going to kill me or not?" His expression once again hardened.

"No." More silence.

"Get some sleep," he ordered standing and walking in the other direction. "We leave at first light."

"Wait!" He turned his head. "What is your name?"

"I abandoned it long ago, but many call me Scar."

                                                                  End of Part II

                                                                to be continued...