Scar Part VI

The sight of Kada had resurfaced Scar's old despair. He shed tears all through the night after Evelyn had fallen asleep. Ever since the war, he hadn't laid eyes on another Ishvalan. He had hear of pockets hiding in slums, but through all his travels, his initially desperate search for his kind dwindled to be sporadic until he finally gave up hope of finding them. He was forced to conclude that they must either be hidden incredibly well or extinct. 

The next morning silence hung heavily in the air. It invaded their lungs and stifled their words. All that could be exchanged between them were sad smiles and fleeting glances. Scar gazed at Evelyn who was packing various things and getting ready for the day. 

Without warning, joy overflowed his tear ducts. She had survived. Out of all the women, at least she was standing in front of him. If she was the last of her kind, it would be a hidden blessing, for she was the perfect example of what an Ishvalan should be- kind, loving, forgiving. Beautiful- God, she was beautiful. To him she was the last woman, but not only that, she was the only woman. He would do anything for her, and from this single thought, he discovered his one true desire now in life was to protect her and bring joy into her life.

Suddenly, all reason and restraint escaped him, and he captured her tightly in his embrace. She let out a small shriek of surprise, but soon relaxed and wrapped her arms around his waist.

"I want to make you happy." His words surprised her more than this display of affection. She would ask a question, but she wouldn't know what to ask. He continued, "Tell me what will make you happy and I'll do it- I'll do anything."

"What?"

"Ask of me anything. I'll do it."

"Don't hurt another soul. Make no more orphans, no more widows. Don't make Amestris pay in the same way we suffered. This not only would make me happy, but Ishvala as well." 

Without hesitation, he responded, "So be it."

They stood huddled together for several long moments both enjoying the warmth that passed between them. She relaxed into his chest as he stroked her hair. Did this have to end? 

"I never want you to leave- you're my only friend." His words demanded sympathy, which her heart was eager to give. 

"Then I'll make you a promise as well."

"What's that?" He looked down into her face, only parting slightly from her. She smiled up at him.

"I promise never to leave your side. From now on you'll wish you had never said that." He laughed in response to the last comment.

"I highly doubt that."