2

As I stepped into the dance studio, I was confronted by an visibly angry Mihika, the sound of music and chatter from the children filling the air, a stark reminder that I was late - and not just by a little

"Hi?" I let out an awkward laugh.

Her poker face remained unyielding, but I carried on, hoping to crack the silence, "I know I'm late-"

"Late? I was worried you might be on time for once." She scoffed before turning around to go into the dance room where the children were practicing.

I couldn't let her walk away with such impunity, her audacity was infuriating. Who did she think she was? I was the one who had given her a chance, hired her when no one else would, and this was how she repaid me? Her cocky attitude was a slap in the face, and I wasn't about to let it slide.

"I was on time. It was the traffic." She wheeled around, arms crossed over her chest, eyeing me suspiciously.

"Traffic? Yeah. I'm sure the cars were just having a party on the road, and you were the guest of honour...again."

"Ab tu aisa karegi mere saath, Mihika?" [ Now you'll do this to me, Mihika? ]

"Swara, you don't understand the situation here. The kids are here to learn and you very much know that I don't know Kathak. They can't keep learning in your absence."

As much as I wanted to defend myself, I couldn't, because it was the truth I was ready to accept.

"Let's go." I pulled Mihika along with me as I made my way to where the kids were gathered, their chatter and laughter filling the air.

"To baccho, how's the practice going on?" I broke the silence with a smile plastered on my face.

"Ma'am, itte dino se practice hi to ho rahi hai." Welp. [ We have been practicing non stop for so many days, ma'am. ]

Although there were 13 of them in total, only 6 were present today, leaving a noticeable gap in their usual lively gathering.

"Baccho, practice makes a man perfect. So, the more you practice, the closer you get to perfection." Since when Mihika started taking my side?

As I reached into my tote bag and retrieved my ghungroo, the familiar jingling sound brought a smile to my face. I took a moment to slip them onto my feet, the soft clinking of the bells a comforting ritual, before turning to face the children, ready to begin our lesson together.

"Shall we start?"

"Yes!" The children chimed in unison, their voices blending together in perfect harmony.

I nodded to Mihika to start the music, and as the first notes played, I began to take my position, the children instinctively following my lead, their eyes shining with excitement and anticipation.

As I danced, my body swaying to the rhythm, I kept a watchful eye on the children, all of whom were bursting with energy. But, as usual, Shivi, stood out from the rest - her movements were fluid, her expression radiant, and her rhythm impeccable, leaving me impressed.

Shivi's love for Kathak was evident in every step, every gesture, and it was this all-consuming passion that created a special place for her in my heart.

Just as I was about to proceed with the next steps, a loud thud echoed through the room, startling me and interrupting the flow of the dance.

I jerked my head towards the sound, and my eyes widened in concern as I saw Shivi clutching her ankle, her face scrunched up in agony. Laga di na nazar tune, Swara.

I rushed towards Shivi, calling out to Mihika as she was engrossed in a phone conversation. Meanwhile, the children instinctively gathered around Shivi, their curious eyes fixed on her.

"What's wrong?" Mihika asked before ending the phone call.

"I think she lost her balance and slipped." I quickly got up and rushed to find the sprain spray.

Shivi's silent tears tugged at my heartstrings, causing my heart to race with concern. I gently took her ankle in my hands and cradled it in my lap, trying to comfort her before carefully spraying onto her injured ankle.

"Shivi? I've heard that you're a strong girl." She looked at me with her teary eyes. "But strong girls don't cry."

I gently cupped her face in my hands and softly wiped away her tears with my thumbs.

She flexed her tiny arm, motioning to her biceps with a proud grin, and gave it a playful pat, "See, I'm strong!" A warm smile spread across my face, capturing the joy of that endearing moment.

"That's like my girl."

"My mumma says that to me as well!"

I ruffled her hair before getting up to find Mahi, she was bidding goodbyes to the rest of the children as their parents came eventually.

A hint of concern crept in as I noticed Shivi's parents were nowhere to be seen, unusual since she was always the first to be picked up after class, either by her nanny or one of her parents, who normally arrived promptly to whisk her away.

My attention drifted to Shivi, struggling to get up, I hastened towards her to help her get up. I genuinely feel sorry for her.

I took her to my office and laid her down on the sofa carefully.

"I'll be coming in a few minutes." She nodded as I placed a pillow under her head.

I saw Mihika taking her bag that was on the table, getting ready to leave.

"Are you not planning to leave?" She asked, watching the timing on her phone.

It was almost the time for me to leave but I couldn't go leaving Shivi alone.

"I'll go once Shivi's parents come and take her."

"Is she feeling better now?"

I nodded and after a moment, Mihika left.

Just as I turned to make my way back to Shivi, the door behind me swung open once more, its gentle hinge noise halting my progress. Mihika must've forgotten something.

As I turned around, I anticipated Mihika's familiar presence, but instead, my gaze fell upon an unfamiliar presence, whose chiseled features and captivating aura rendered the concept of beauty totally inadequate, leaving me momentarily breathless.

Although he was wearing a blazer, I could still see the scrub he wore underneath, with 'Ahaan' written on it. Doctor, huh?

Wait, Ahaan? Ruhaan's brother? Damn.

His eyes roamed the studio with a sense of longing, as if seeking a missing piece, or a person who might complete the puzzle of his thoughts.

"So, you're here to ask me to marry you?" I broke the silence with a suspicious look plastered on my face.

×

Phew. How's this chapter?

 How's this chapter?