Chapter-7: Bonds of Comfort

The next morning, I woke up with a heavy heart. The thought of joining the student council still weighed on my mind. I knew it would be a great opportunity, but at what cost?

Other than getting to spend less time with Taehyung and Jimin, I also had to think about my health. Now that I've finally started prioritizing it, I knew that I had to take better care of myself. Joining the council would mean less time for even myself.

I sighed, getting ready for school, trying to push away the nagging thoughts.

As I entered the classroom, Yun Hee was already there, as usual. She waved at me, her smile as bright as ever, but I noticed something different today. There was a hint of expectation in her eyes, as if she was waiting for me to give her an answer.

"Sujin! Have you thought about joining the student council?" Yun Hee asked, her tone casual but her eyes sharp.

I hesitated, biting my lip. "I have... but I'm still not sure, Yun Hee. I’m worried about how much time it will take up. Besides, I'm sick you know. Who knows when I collapse" I laughed bitterly.

Yun Hee’s expression softened. "I understand, but I really think you’d be great at it. Then again, your health matters the most. You're welcomed any time though, if you ever change your mind." She said as she rubbed her hand over my arm in a reassuring manner.

"You'll be the first person to know." I finally smiled, which she mirrored. I sighed in relief, the burdensome thought finally having an end. Still, the idea of disappointing Yun Hee, who had become such an important part of my life, was equally painful.

But what could I do?

When lunchtime came, I noticed Taehyung and Jimin sitting together, their usual playful banter subdued. I felt a pang of guilt. Were they feeling left out?

Taking a deep breath, I walked over to them. "Hey, do you mind if I join you today?"

Jimin looked up, surprised, but then he smiled warmly. "Of course not, Sujin."

I sat down, feeling the tension ease a little as we started chatting. Thankfully, nothing had changed between us. I should have been the one to balance my time between them, my new friends AND of course, myself. And from now on, I'm gonna do just that.

Later on, when I walked on my way home with Taehyung, I told him that I wouldn't be joining the council, at least not right now.

"Wait, why? I thought you loved doing stuffs like this." Taehyung said as he halted in his steps and looked at me. He had one brow raised, his expression confusing.

"I DID. Past tense. But now between my health and many other things, I don't think it'll be a good idea to join" I shrugged as I ran my hands through my hair, which was not in the best condition.

"Are you sure you're quitting because you want to? Not because something is holding you back?" Taehyung’s voice was soft, but his eyes were searching mine, like he was afraid I was giving up too much, too soon.

"I'm sure, Tae," I replied, trying to sound more confident than I felt. "I've learned that my health has to come first. Besides, Yun Hee said I’m welcome anytime. It’s not a forever ‘no,’ just a ‘not right now.’"

"Well then, it's good. Now, let's get some ice ream. It's long since we had ice cream on our way home." He said as we stopped in front of an ice cream parlor, making my eyes lit up.

As we stepped into the ice cream parlor, the familiar scent of sugar and waffle cones greeted us. It had been a while since I’d indulged in something so simple, yet so comforting. Taehyung glanced at me, a small smile tugging at the corners of his lips as he noticed my excitement. His smile made me fluttered a bit.

“What flavor are you getting?” he asked, already eyeing the options curiously, his doe eyes getting bigger as he looked for his favorite flavor.

“Strawberry, of course,” I replied with a grin, remembering how it had always been my go-to. I watched as Taehyung ordered his usual chocolate cookie dough, and for a moment, everything felt normal, like it used to be before the diagnosis, before the worries about the future.

We found a seat by the window, and I took a small bite, savouring the sweetness. It was these moments—quiet, unassuming, yet full of meaning—that I’d come to cherish more than anything.

Taehyung broke the comfortable silence. “You know, Sujin, I’m really proud of you.” He said firmly, looking at me.

I looked up, surprised. “Proud? Of what?”

“Of how strong you’ve been,” he said, his tone serious. “I know it’s not easy for you, balancing everything—school, friends, your health… but you’re doing it, and you’re doing it well.”

His words warmed me in a way I didn’t expect. I realized then how much I’d needed to hear that, how much I’d been doubting myself. “Thanks, Tae. That means a lot.”

He smiled, a soft, genuine smile that reached his eyes, crinkling the corners of them, “You’ve always been strong, Sujin. Even when you don’t feel like it.”

Hearing his words, I smiled. the corners of my eyes getting glossy, but I refused to cry. I mouthed a 'thank you' and he smiled.

We ate our ice cream in companionable silence, the kind where no words were needed. But as I finished, a thought nagged at the back of my mind. I turned to Taehyung, trying to gather my courage.

“Taehyung… do you ever think about the future?” I asked, my voice barely above a whisper.

He paused, his spoon hovering over his cup. “All the time,” he admitted, looking out the window as if the answer lay somewhere beyond the glass. “But I try not to let it scare me.”

“What if… what if things don’t go the way we want them to?” I asked, the fear in my voice evident.

He met my gaze, his expression gentle but firm. “Then we deal with it together. Whatever happens, Sujin, you’re not alone in this.”

His words hung in the air, and for a moment, I felt a swell of emotion. Here we were, two teenagers with too much on our shoulders, yet somehow, I felt stronger because of him.

“I’m really glad you’re with me, Taehyung,” I said, my voice wavering slightly. “I don’t know what I’d do without you.”

He reached across the table, taking my hand in his. “You won’t ever have to find out. I will never leave you. As long as I'm alive."

The walk home was quieter than usual, the weight of our conversation still lingering between us. But it wasn’t a heavy silence—it was the kind that comes when two people understand each other without needing to say much. And I loved it, as much as it was quiet, I loved that we were okay, that we had each other no matter what.

As we reached my house, Taehyung turned to me, his expression unreadable. “Sujin, about what we talked about… just remember that you don’t have to carry everything alone. I’m here for you, always.”

“I know,” I said softly. “And I’m here for you too.”

He hesitated for a moment, then leaned in and kissed my forehead, a gesture so tender, so platonic that it sent a warmth through me. “Goodnight, Sujin.”

“Goodnight, Tae,” I whispered, staring at his back as he walked away, the moment lingering in the air long after he’d gone.