14

(Word count: 12514)

It's a somewhat miserable afternoon when the dreaded letter arrives, the once azure blue painted skies Sunoo had fast become used to over the weeks now blanketed in a dull, thick coating of dejected greys and blacks. It stretches vastly, to the point where Sunoo can barely catch even the smallest glimpse of blue anymore, the weight of the clouds thick with awaiting rain a heavy press that Sunoo can feel both at the back of his skull and atop the curves of his shoulders.

It continues to throb even as the lot of them gather within the cramped yet familiar confines of the livingroom, fireplace crackling and heat chasing away the chill of the unexpected and fast approaching storm beyond the curtain lined windows. It doesn't do all that much to warm up the cool atmosphere that's fast descended across the room though, not when Jungwon's expression already looks so remarkably weary, so tired in comparison to what Sunoo usually knows it to be.

Beside him stands Heeseung, lips pressed into a tight line and a comforting palm on his lovers shoulder squeezing every now and then, and as they each find their way to the little house atop the hill and settle atop the thick, mismatched rugs and cushions, Sunoo can't help but exchange a quick look with Jihyun that feels an awful lot like something foreboding.

"What's wrong?" Jake is the first to ask, thick brows already furrowed with unmistakable concern as he tugs a rather out of breath Sunghoon on in behind him, the two having been stuck in a meeting at the Governers house before receiving word of Jungwon's summoning. Ni-ki had already been leaning against the fireplace when Sunoo had arrived from the schoolhouse with Jihyun in tow after the younger had been sent to pick him up, and the Sunoo couldn't help but cast the youngest a worried glance upon entering, eyes tracking the tense grit of Ni-ki's jaw and the way the inked muscles of his biceps flex when he crosses his arms over his chest.

"We'll wait until Jay arrives." Heeseung replies, gentle but firm, and when his eyes flit down toward Jungwon's hands Sunoo can't help but track the movement, something flipping nervously in his gut when he notes the scrap of parchment in their leaders left, clutched so tightly he's almost positive it's going to tear.

Jake looks as though he wants to protest at having to wait, clearly impatient, though he seems to think better of arguing, clamping his mouth shut and falling into a slightly breathless heap beside Sunoo, practically laying in his lap despite Sunoos weak protests.

"It must be bad." Jihyun leans into Sunoos side to whisper. "They wouldn't have called us all back right away if it wasn't urgent, would they? Something's changed."

The realisation has an awful feeling of dread curling low in Sunoos gut and he knots his fists in his trousers, forearms prickling with goosebumps.

Something's changed.

Sunoo can feel it, the sweltering tension steadily rising within the room, far more suffocating than the press of heat from the fireplace. Outside the sky rumbles, what was once a distant drumbeat now fast gaining on them, and he presses his lips together, hoping Jay will make it back before it starts to rain.

"You alright?" Jihyun's concerned stare has Sunoo nodding jerkily, hoping the disjointed bobbing of his head will do well enough to cast aside the fluttery feeling in his gut when he thinks of a certain petty thief.

Now's not the time.

Yet despite the strained atmosphere of the room just the mere mention of Jay has his shoulders drawing back, body on full alert without his permission. He finds himself counting the minutes to stave off the jittery feeling behind his ribcage, as though they're being tickled at by thousands of feathers, and ignores the expected by now racing of his own heart as he looks toward the hallway, waiting for a glimpse at a familiar face - the one that's been stuck in his head for weeks now, plaguing every dream without fail.