Chapter 20: The Weight of Love

Akshara adjusted her hair in the mirror, deciding to skip her usual high-pony look. She smoothed her hands down the long dress she had chosen for the evening, nerves creeping in as she prepared to visit Abhimanyu's parents' house.

It had been two weeks since she and Abhimanyu had gotten together, and Akshara had never been happier. She had begun working on a new wedding project that was scheduled six months out, while Aarohi focused on organizing anniversary events. Aarohi was currently out of town, rallying with Mr. Goenka to scope out a venue for the surprise anniversary celebration.

Akshara's phone rang, pulling her from her thoughts. Seeing Abhimanyu's name, she smiled and answered, remaining silent.

"Baby, you can't still be mad at me. I wanted you to be there with my family," Abhimanyu teased over the phone.

A week earlier, he had invited her to a family dinner hosted by his parents, in celebration of Anisha and her husband's return from their honeymoon. Akshara had declined, feeling it was too soon to join such an intimate family event. But being the persistent man he was, Abhimanyu had found a way to get her to attend—Anisha had called and personally invited her, making it impossible for Akshara to say no. With Aarohi away, Akshara agreed to go alone.

"C'mon baby, please don't be mad. I promise you can have all the dessert tonight."

Suppressing a smile, Akshara finally replied, "I'm almost ready to go."

"I'm downstairs. Don't forget your bag. I missed you like crazy this past week."

He had been away on a business trip, and she, too, had been looking forward to seeing him again. "I missed you too," she whispered.

Akshara gathered her belongings, including an overnight bag packed for the weekend at Abhimanyu's place. She hadn't yet shared the news of their relationship with Aarohi; something inside her held her back. Although she loved Abhimanyu and couldn't imagine being without him, doubts about the future still lingered.

She stepped out of the elevator to find Abhimanyu waiting. Families and children gathered in the lobby smiled at her as she walked toward him. He took the bag from her hand, planting a kiss on her forehead, sending that familiar thrill through her, just like every time he touched her.

"I missed you so much," he whispered, stepping back to open the car door.

The depth of his words made her breath catch, but she couldn't find the right words to respond. A swirl of uncertainty filled her thoughts—what if things didn't work out?

"Are you okay?" he asked as she remained quiet.

She leaned over and kissed him on the cheek. "I'm good. Just a little nervous."

He pulled her into a kiss before letting her go. "You're just here to catch up with Anisha and hear all about her honeymoon adventures."

Akshara smiled, knowing how animatedly Anisha loved to share every detail about things she enjoyed. "I can't wait to see her."

"She's been talking nonstop about Africa, and my trip to Malaysia didn't seem to interest her at all," Abhimanyu joked.

"I'm sure I'll hear all about it," she laughed, feeling a bit more at ease.

"You're in for a treat," he said, navigating through the city traffic.

"What are we doing this weekend?" she asked, eager to spend time alone with him.

"We have plans tomorrow evening."

"Where are we going?"

"It's a surprise," he said, giving her a quick, playful wink.