CHAPTER 1. the arboretum

Running through the narrow streets of the buzzing city lights, Eva made a few more turns while keeping her breathing firm and steady, until urgently jumping up and high in front of a small 24/7 convenience store to make sure that the old sensor above the sliding doors took notice of her, she pushed her hand through the barely open doors first as soon as given opportunity.

''SAFE!'' Eva shrieked out of breath, ''S- Safe..'' She doubled with a quiet sigh while leaning palms against knees with a hunched back.

''You're on time each Monday, Wednesday and Friday.. Why push yourself..'' A grumpy old man, the owner of the small, cozy yet somehow unorganized chaos of a general store did not even flinch, nor granted a look from his gaze towards the small TV in the corner of the ceiling while picking his teeth with a wooden toothpick in total indifference, ''I wouldn't fire you for being a few minutes late now and then..'' He growled from between his teeth.

Eva smiled brightly, small lines around the outer corner of her eyes as the cheeks rose with the lips pulled higher, ''Correction, barely on time. Yet, how sweet of you, old man.'' She sang gently, earning a noticeable click of a tongue by the owner. She knew he was one of those old timey people who'd disguise even the silent fondness towards others, leaving those moments barely noticed.

''Go on, then..'' He nodded his head towards the entrance of the staff only area.

''Yes, SIR!'' Eva answered jokingly and adjusted the tote bag hanging on her shoulder.

As if it wasn't her second job of the day already..

Stacking the shelfs with products of popular snacks which the young students living around the area had been begging to get back in stock for weeks now, Eva heard some drips and drops hitting the large window right beside her.

''Hmmh.. I forgot to bring an umbrella..'' She whispered, yet kept the usual effortless smile. A natural tendency through out the day, which would make people around her feel naturally gravitated towards her, welcoming, or on the contrary get her in trouble from time to time. Those upturned lips.

''Take one of mine.. Your shift is ending..'' The old owner handed a long yellow umbrella, waving it in front of her, forcing her to grab it.

''Thank you! I'll bring it back after weekend!''

''Tsh.. Always in a hurry..'' The man grunted as he turned around and towards the cashier as one of his favorite regular customer was there to buy late night ramen.

''You're the best.'' Eva chirped without getting acknowledged, emptied the last box of snacks left and on the shelfs.

With her shift finally finished, Eva took a shopping basket and walked through the usual route, taking a pack of baby wipes, diapers and baby formula. Without words exchanged the owner took the wrinkled money that Eva had to scramble from the bottom of her worn out wallet.

And as always, the old man hid an extra baby formula and a couple of lollipops in the mix. Free of charge.

''I'm off!'' Eva opened the umbrella ready as soon as the doors slid open, immediately hit with the humid mist of the late summer rain.

''At least take a taxi.. It's late..'' The owner leaned over the counter.

''Taxi costs money, my legs are free.'' She waved cheerfully, not waiting for an unnecessary answer.

Humming a song while enjoying the peaceful sound of rain around her hitting the top of the bright umbrella, Eva continued to walk slowly on the empty street until lost in thought entirely.

''I wonder what time —'' Eva took out her phone, ''9:50pm, huh? I still have some time left.'' She dropped the phone inside the tote bag and raised her chin up - only to realize she had walked past the crossroad leading towards home.