CHAPTER 6. an offer she can't refuse

Another rainy Monday evening by the convenience store. Eva was arranging the few items sold by the cashier while the old man leaned against the counter, both with their eyes glued on the TV above, with a new anticipated hit drama of the fall just past it's opening theme.

''Oh my!'' Eva gasped as yet another turn of events evolved, ''Poor guy, even his own mother.'' She shook her head, theatrically serious. The owner would not admit it, but he had already gotten hooked in the show since episode one. Now, it had become a shared thing for the two, waiting for the episode to run on the best spot each Monday evening.

''See, I told you..'' The owner reached a hand without taking his eyes off the screen. Eva pouted as she took out a small bill from the chest-pocket of the oversized shirt, decorated with the tiny store logo on it, and slapped it on the old man's demanding palm.

''Fine, I'll let you have this one.'' Eva smirked, refusing to be a sore loser when a bet was set fair and square.

The old man ironed the bill between his fingers and flicked it before putting it away. Couldn't resist showing off at least that much.

''Hey.. I was thinking..'' Eva began while shyly fumbling with the already organized items, ''Would you maybe have hours for me on Saturdays? Maybe Sunday morning as well?''

The old man raised an asking eyebrow, taking a sip of his already lukewarm coffee. Yes, even in the evening it was his fuel, ''Over the weekend you ask? No can do, I still got those students working each Saturday and Sunday.'' He crossed his arms, ''I'll let you know if the situation changes.''

''Sure, thanks.'' Eva nodded slowly, hiding the disappointment, ''Oh well, worth the shot.''

With her calendar filled almost to it's peak, finding work only for a specific day proved to be near impossible, and finding a full-time job even worse. Eva tried from all of her part-time jobs, but not a single one could promise income from Saturdays. Even willing to give up her whole entire Sunday, which wouldn't leave much of a break in between.

A week of trying to go through available gigs, she found herself leaning against a mop at the office cleaning job, early morning hours already. Time almost served. Eva wasn't the person to ever slack on duty, but the resent events were beginning to weigh on her shoulders. She had no way of contacting Joshua. No, she wasn't even sure whether being in contact with him would be such a good idea to begin with. And on top of that, she couldn't talk to old Miriam about the documents, for no one would hide such matters unless they were unwilling to speak about it.

Too much scooped on the tiny plate for it all to fit.

''Maybe she's just not ready yet..'' Eva sighed, the mop sliding from the side of her head, resulting into her losing balance and stumbling a bit, ''Gosh, get it together! You need to find a job, not lose one..'' She finished the rest of her work through the remaining hour in time. As always.

Adjusting her tote bag on the shoulder, Eva pulled the sleeves of the teddy coat over fingers and crossed her arms tightly to keep the freezing morning breeze away from the bare skin as she walked out of the office building.

''Let's just hurry home, not think about anything, and get a good few hours of sleep..'' Eva took hurried steps and yawned with a mouth wide open, eyes nearly closed when a car stopped in front of her, right beside the sidewalk, forcing her to freeze on the spot.

A mysterious black car, expensive one with black windows blocking the view inside. Eva clicked her tongue, the usual round eyes more narrow as the eyelids began to feel heavy each minute passing by.

''Excuse me..'' Eva sang kindly and finished her sweet interrupted yawn as she turned to go around the car — when the window of the backseats unexpectedly began to roll down.