They Were Roommates .1.

Sirius Pov.

Perched atop a tree drenched in sunlight, I surveyed my homeland. Towering trees stretched for miles, mountains embraced the terrain, and at its heart was a vast, warm lake, home to a tiny tribe of water fairies.

The anticipation of returning to school for my final year alongside my roommate was exhilarating, rivaling the excitement of completing my PhD. After earning my bachelor's degree in my sophomore year, I started my PhD studies ahead of schedule. My clinicals were a breeze, thanks to years of assisting my father. Though some might call me a child prodigy, I see myself as merely driven by passion. My happiness stems from helping people of all races, not just my own.

Settled on the edge of a sturdy branch, I shifted around the tree to find a more comfortable spot as the sun moved across the sky. With closed eyes, I reflected on my roommate, a thought that tempered my earlier enthusiasm. It was our final year as roommates; he would soon leave to lead his pack.

Raven has shared my living space for the past three years. At first, I found him unbearable and wrote him off as a simpleton. However, as time passed and we continued to share a room, I began to perceive the depth beyond his Alpha and warrior exterior. This insight stirred a longing within me; a wish to transcend the bounds of mere cohabitation. Despite this, I recognized that his eventual pairing with a mate would relegate me to a distant memory. Thus, I've silently nurtured an unspoken affection for two years.

To me, Raven always seems so beautiful and majestic, especially when bathed in sunlight. I knew that romance was off-limits, as he was a werewolf and I an albino snake, yet dreaming remained accessible to me. With my eyes closed, all things appeared achievable. In that realm, love, desire, and acceptance were tangible.

Every year, as we returned to school, it was reassuring to know he remained without a mate. Unfortunately, not all species were fortunate enough to form a mate bond. My species did not practice monogamy, which I understood made me an outlier in my family, not counting my albinism.

As a member of the esteemed Black Mambas, one of the most respected Snake clans, I am expected to uphold our reputation as royalty among our kind. This entails consistently demonstrating superiority over others, a requirement that subjects me to considerable pressure to achieve high standards.

I was expected to behave and not cause trouble, despite not being the successor to lead our den. That responsibility fell to my uncle, my father's brother, who was the current den leader and part of the direct lineage, indicating that my cousin would eventually assume leadership. My uncle also served on the council, making tough decisions. My father, a doctor in our den, has set a path for me to follow in his professional footsteps. To which I accepted faultlessly.

"Sirius," my father's voice called from below. As I opened my eyes, the setting sun greeted me. With a yawn, I began my descent from the tree, eager to meet my father in his hybrid form. Upon reaching the ground, I transformed into my half-human, half-snake form to greet him.

"Hello, Father," I greeted, yawning again, uncertain whether it was from hunger or sleepiness.

"It's time to hit the road. Did you have a good nap?" he inquired, as we headed towards our home.

Rubbing my eyes, I nodded and said, "I did," as I slowly followed behind him.

"Good, when we get back to the house, I want you to grab your things. We need to head to the teleportation gate posthaste," he stated. Nodding, I followed close behind him when someone grabbed my arm.

Glancing down, I recognized my younger sister Olivia. She was quite the spitfire, always managing to give our dad a headache with her wild and spontaneous antics. True to our mother's spirit, I thought with a smile. Bending down, I scooped her into my arms as she giggled, holding her close as we stepped into the clearing.