2- The Quiet Challenge

The three weeks leading up to university seemed like an eternity to Isabella. Each day was a constant reminder that she would soon be thrust into a world that felt foreign and unwelcoming. She knew that if she didn't work on her social skills, university could quickly become a nightmare. Madeline, always the optimist, had taken it upon herself to help her cousin prepare for this monumental shift in her life. But it was Arthur who had come up with the idea that gave Isabella a real challenge.

One evening, as the family sat down for dinner, Arthur casually brought up the idea.

"Why don't you try talking to some of my employees when they come for meetings?" he suggested, looking directly at Isabella. "It'll give you a chance to practice your social skills in a comfortable environment before you're surrounded by a bunch of strangers at university."

Isabella nearly choked on her drink. "Your employees?"

Arthur smiled gently, knowing how daunting the idea seemed. "I know it sounds intimidating, but these are people you've seen for years. They know our family well, and it's a safe space to practice talking to adults before you head off to campus. Think of it as a warm-up."

Isabella bit her lip, feeling her nerves creeping in. "I don't know, Uncle Arthur. What if I embarrass myself?"

"You won't," Arthur said confidently. "And even if you do, it's not the end of the world. The point is to get you comfortable with making conversation. You're more than capable, Izzy. You just need the practice."

Madeline, sitting next to her, nodded enthusiastically. "He's right. It'll be a great way to ease into talking to people, and I'll be right there with you the whole time."

Isabella glanced between her uncle and her sister, feeling the weight of their expectations. She wasn't sure if she could do it, but she trusted them both. Maybe this would help.

***********************************************************************************************

The next few days were an awkward blur of forced conversations and small talk. Whenever someone came to visit Arthur for business, Isabella was there, standing awkwardly in the corner until Madeline nudged her into action. Arthur's employees were kind, if a bit confused by her sudden presence, but they welcomed her polite greetings and stiff attempts at conversation.

One afternoon, as Arthur sat in a meeting with a longtime associate, Isabella found herself hovering near the doorway. She could feel Madeline's encouraging gaze from across the room.

"Go on," Madeline whispered when the moment was right. "Just ask him how his day is."

With her heart pounding, Isabella stepped forward. "Um... how's your day going?" she asked, her voice barely above a whisper.

Arthur's associate, a middle-aged man with kind eyes, smiled warmly. "Busy, but good, thank you for asking."

Isabella nodded awkwardly, her cheeks flushing with relief. That wasn't so bad, she thought. But the moment passed quickly, and she retreated back to Madeline's side, feeling her anxiety subside for the moment.

"See? That wasn't hard," Madeline said with a proud smile.

"It felt hard," Isabella admitted. "I just... I don't want to come across as weird. And I hate how anxious I get."

"You're not weird," Madeline reassured her. "You're just out of practice. And hey, feeling anxious is normal. You're stepping out of your comfort zone, and that's a big deal."

Isabella nodded, though deep down, she wished it didn't feel so hard. She hated how her anxiety gripped her in those moments, turning simple conversations into mountains she had to climb.