5- Confrontations And Confidence

"Hey," Julian greeted casually, giving Madeline a quick, unrecognizing glance. "Do I know you?"

Madeline's breath hitched, her eyes flashing with a mix of frustration and hurt. She had hoped for at least a flicker of recognition from Julian, someone she had spent weeks chatting with online before he had ghosted her. The coldness in his response felt like a slap in the face. She clenched her jaw, struggling to keep her emotions in check.

Isabella, observing her cousin's reaction, felt a surge of protective anger. She could see how deeply Julian's indifference had affected Madeline. Her own frustration bubbled up, and she opened her mouth to say something, but the words caught in her throat.

Before she could respond, Stephanie appeared in the hallway, her phone out. The university's no-phone policy was well-known, but Stephanie seemed unfazed. She spotted Julian and her face lit up with a dramatic, theatrical smile.

"Julian! Baby!" Stephanie called out, her voice overly sweet. She marched up to Julian and planted a kiss on his cheek, her affection so exaggerated it bordered on performative.

Her eyes then shifted to Isabella and Madeline. A smirk played at the corners of her mouth as she took in the scene. "Well, if it isn't the new girl and her little sidekick," she said, her tone dripping with condescension. "How's it going, losers?"

Isabella's face flushed with anger. She could feel her pulse quicken, her hands clenching into fists. Every inch of her wanted to lash out, but she forced herself to take a deep breath and focus. Stephanie's mocking attitude was too much. Instead of directing her frustration towards Madeline's ex-chat partner, Isabella decided to address the instigator directly.

"You know, Stephanie," Isabella began, her voice cool and controlled despite the anger simmering beneath, "it must be exhausting being so predictably cruel. Always trying to get attention by belittling others."

Stephanie's eyes widened in surprise at the directness of Isabella's comment. "Oh, really? And what's your problem? Did you come here just to get in my way?"

Isabella's jaw tightened, her gaze unwavering. "Actually, my problem is with people like you who think they can put others down to make themselves feel better. It's pathetic. And as for Julian," she added, gesturing towards the still-silent figure beside Stephanie, "if he can't even remember someone he's had an online conversation with for weeks, then that's his loss. It's really sad to see people treating others like they're disposable."

Stephanie's face turned a bright shade of red. "Who the hell do you think you are, talking to me like that? You think you can just barge in and say whatever you want?"

Isabella's eyes flashed with defiance. "I'm someone who's had enough of your nonsense. If you think that throwing insults is a way to make yourself feel superior, then I'm afraid you're mistaken. I'm not backing down."

Stephanie's face twisted with rage. "Is that so? You're nothing but a clueless little bitch who thinks she's tough. You think you're hot shit, but you're just a nobody who needs to learn her place."

Isabella's anger flared. "Watch your mouth, Stephanie. You're not impressing anyone with your pathetic attempts at being mean. It's not my fault you're so insecure that you have to put others down to feel better about yourself. Grow up."

Stephanie's eyes narrowed. "Oh, please. Like you're any better. Look at you, trying so hard to act all high and mighty. "

Julian, who had been observing the argument in growing discomfort, finally spoke up. "Okay, okay, let's just—"