chapter 5

Sohyun was a lonely child, not quite feeling at one with her home of Wenzhou due to her ethnicity, but not quite at home in Korea because of her nationality.

Torn between two worlds, she found it difficult to maintain stable connections even at a young age. This year, she hadn't known it yet, but her parents were getting ready to move back to Seoul in just a few months.

That day, it was an odd one. The air was thick and concentrated with smog, an air quality advisory being shared on the local news broadcast. Everyday, she was tasked with taking her little brother to school, his elementary school building was only a few blocks away from hers.

"Sister, do you think those clouds up there are from jinx the giant sneezing?" He referred to a character that Sohyun had made up to entertain him, and to explain the strange weather changes depending on where they'd been staying.

She got down to his level, "I heard he has a bad cold right now, but he can get better if he has some spicy soup." She gave him a hug, and saw him off to his school.

As she made the walk from his school to hers, she became more and more observant of her surroundings. But the moment she set foot onto school grounds, she saw her, the most beautiful girl she'd ever laid eyes upon. She wasn't sure who she was, she'd attended a different class than Sohyun, but by God, she was gorgeous.

This was Sohyun's gay awakening, she couldn't stop thinking about the girl day and night. And after a month of hoping and fantasizing about talking to her, she finally gained the courage to approach the girl.

She held the bracelet in her hand, it was a charm bracelet, but it only had one charm. She planned to give the girl a charm everyday, until she won over her affection. So when she saw the girl in the halls, she ran up to her.

"Here, I made this for you." The 10 year old shyly said, and the other girl childishly giggled. "Thank you." And that was the end of it, she ran back to her class. Her heart raced, so excited about her first crush accepting her gift.

That day, she skipped the whole way home, beaming in joy over the interaction. "What are you so happy about?" Jisung inquired, to which she delightfully replied; "I made a new friend!"

This was the most at home she had ever felt, she was socializing and had gained enough confidence to approach her piers. But as she made her way into her house, her heart sank.

Boxes packed, luggage full of their belongings, it was obvious from the very moment she saw it. "What's going on?" Sohyun asked, "We're moving back to Seoul!" Her mother said that as if it were a good thing.

She never saw the girl again, separated from the only country she'd known in her 10 years of life, it was so confusing for a child her age. All she'd ever wanted was a place to call home, she dreamt that one day she'd find one.