We Were Both Young When I First Saw You

Julian

Just what got into my head accepting that!?

Sure, she sounded like she was really in danger. Her soft, sunshine voice is something you can't resist. But no realistic person would consent to kissing a stranger!

The flamingo-masked woman pushed me away after what we did. Though she was embarrassed, our plan worked; the creepy man walked away, thinking we were boyfriend and girlfriend.

Admittedly, there were fireworks popping inside my heart. She kissed me as if she loved me...like my German friend, or rather, ex-friend.

2013

Julian: Whoa...I wish we had a big mansion like this one po, Ma! (amazed)

The Cappenheim Mansion in Sonoma was a Rococo-inspired house brimmed with mahogany windows and rose gold curtains. The oxford blue roof made it stand out among the green vineyards and meadows.

Mama: You know what I would wish? To have a house where both you and your father are here...(wistful)

Julian: And the house po would have to be this big! (excited)

Mama: Hahahahaha...okay! By the way, you can explore the meadows, but please, be careful. I just need to meet the Cappenheim couple for my interview.

She applied into becoming one of the maids of the house. It was nice that the wealthy wine couple accepted her during the first screening.

The wind blew my mother's bangs towards the east. The sun hit her morena complexion and her black charcoal eyes shined in the distance. I promised to myself that if I ever became rich, she'd have the best things in the world. She would never be a house helper, but rather, the one who manages them.

I saw the even field, and I instantly explored that area first.

***

Few minutes have passed, and I was feeling bored with the picturesque landscape of Sonoma, California. Not that it was ugly, it was just a place where you can easily get used to the appearance of the horizon.

I took a step back, appreciating the simple, fresh, and cool air. Then I made another reverse step, only to bump into a person.

I quickly turned to see a blonde girl nearly fall, dropping her book. I used my left arm to catch her body. And by luck, I caught her book with my right hand.

Julian: I'm so sorry about that! (slightly embarrassed)

The girl stared at me for a little while, then she got up. I reached out her book so she can easily take it.

It was too late when I noticed a rock hindering her path.

Girl: Ah! (scared)

She fell off the ground again. Since she tried to hold on to me for support, I was dragged along with the book. We rolled off the grass, as I held her novel for dear life. When we finally stopped, I noticed her sparkling, periwinkle eyes. Her button nose and thin lips complemented her kind face.

Girl: Oh no! I apologize for what happened. (ashamed)

She stood up from the position where she landed, lending out her hand so I can get up.

Julian: No, it's fine! Sometimes, our heads can be on the clouds. (assuring)

Girl: May I ask who you are? (inquisitive)

Julian: Ah, me? Well, I'm Julian Calampasia. My Mama and I arrived here nine days ago from the Philippines. She's here to apply as a maid, and I tagged along. (happy)