Chapter 1

Groaning, I turned off the 5th alarm as I dragged myself out of bed to hop into the shower. Despite the water waking my body, I can still feel my mind not present, just absent, and dulled as I go through the same routine yet again. The most excitement I had was deciding what to wear for work. However, due to past experiences, I know that wearing something that makes me happy like a skirt will just cause others to look at me differently. Alongside the treatment with all their stares constantly stabbing me with their cruel remarks about how I dress. I'll just stick to the stereotypical black jeans a over sized hoodie. Grabbing the apron that I haven't washed in a few days, covered in mocha, I head to work. As me and Sam the openers waited for the shift supervisor, Emily, to unlock the door, we see her coming with a 44oz and a donut.

"Sorry for the wait, traffic, you know," she said, shoveling the donut down her throat.

Not feeling like mentioning anything, as if it would do anything, I just head in and ignore her. That way, the espresso machines are woken so we can have our morning caffeine, as everyone goes to the back to clock in. When I got that done, I headed into the back where the others were putting on their aprons as I overhear Emily.

"..me and all the girls at work are going out for drinks tonight if you want.."

As I make myself known, she instantly silences herself as she hands me the iPad to clock myself in before really starting the day. Being excluded from outside hangouts at work is nothing new, especially when Emily's involved. Always acting like it isn't obvious how she feels about me I honestly couldn't care as long as she stops putting me on fucking drive thru. Luckily, she's stopped making it a point to stick me there ever since I stopped asking her and explaining why I didn't like being on drive thru. Of course, Miss "soon to be a store manager" loves to say "well it's your job unless you can get a doctors note."

Continuing throughout my shift, I put up with all the "accidental" slip ups. Not only from my coworkers who are supposedly supportive but every customer that comes through and looks at me like some sort of savage. The type of savage they want to call out for their "evil" and "wrongness" all so that they can "correct" them to be "normal" and "right." Finally the day ends and my dreadful shift finally ends so that I can just go home and exist without everyone looking at me and judging me for something they don't understand, much less bother to try and understand. As I clock out, I hear Emily switching off with the next shift.

"...March already got all the backups ready, and he.. sorry, she got the drains cleaned as well.."

Honestly, one think after two years of being out that others would get the hang of something as simplistic as pronouns. Regardless, today has drained me even more, and considering I still need to grocery shop. Driving down the road, everything just looks so plain, boring, gray, dull whatever word fits best. All besides that car speeding and getting cl....