Twelve

As we lay there, the moment between us felt intimate, not just in the physical sense but in the anticipation of the life we were about to bring into the world. My belly, round and full, was a constant reminder of how everything was about to change. The thought of our baby boy, so close to arriving, was both exciting and daunting.

Prince remained quiet for a while, his fingers still gently tracing shapes across my skin. It was comforting, and yet, the weight of the unspoken question pressed on me. We hadn't yet chosen a name, though it was something that occupied my thoughts often. Finally, I gathered the courage to say what had been on my mind.

"We should pick a name for him," I said softly, breaking the stillness between us.

Prince's gaze shifted from my belly to my face, his expression thoughtful, almost as if he had been waiting for me to bring it up. For a moment, he didn't say anything, his eyes distant as though he were lost in contemplation. Then, slowly, he sat up a little more, resting his hand gently on my belly.

"I've been thinking about that," he murmured, his voice soft, but there was a weight to his words. "A name... it carries so much meaning. It's the first gift we give him."

I nodded, understanding the gravity of what he was saying. A name was more than just a word—it was a legacy, something that would shape our son's identity for his whole life. And with Prince being who he was, the expectations surrounding that choice felt even heavier.

"What have you been thinking?" I asked, curious and eager to hear his thoughts.

He was quiet for a moment longer, as if choosing his words carefully. "I want something strong... something that will carry him through life. But also, it has to feel right, like it belongs to him."

I couldn't help but smile at that. He was right. This wasn't just about picking a name we liked; it had to suit our son, the little person we hadn't yet met but already felt so connected to.

"What about you?" Prince asked, his tone softening as he looked into my eyes. "Have you thought of anything?"

I hesitated, then nodded. "I have a few ideas," I admitted, my voice almost a whisper. "But nothing feels quite perfect yet."

He smiled at that, his hand moving to gently cradle my belly. "We'll know it when we find it," he said confidently, and in that moment, I believed him.

The name would come, just like everything else had—a part of this journey we were navigating together, step by step.

Prince smiled softly, his hand resting gently on my belly. "Alright, Mama," he said, his tone affectionate and playful, a familiar warmth in his eyes. There was a teasing energy in the air as he moved a little closer, his fingers tracing light patterns on my side.

He leaned in, his breath brushing against my ear. "So...," he began quietly, a smile in his voice. "Are you going to let me be with you this morning?"

I felt my face heat up, my heart quickening. Even after all this time, Prince had a way of making me feel both flustered and excited, like everything else faded away when he was near.

I let out a soft laugh, trying to stay composed despite the sudden rush of warmth. "You're impossible," I said, half-teasing, my voice light but affectionate.

Prince chuckled softly, his eyes never leaving mine. "Can you blame me?" he murmured. His hand continued its gentle path along my side, his touch both familiar and reassuring. "Look at you."

I smiled, feeling a deep sense of connection in the moment. There was an ease between us, an understanding that no matter how much things changed, we always found our way back to each other.