2: The fateful day

Shivika's POV

Where the hell is this man! The meeting is about to begin in 3 minutes and all the listed out employees are there with their reports.

I decided to call him one last time before taking any official action. As I was about to press the call button, one of the senior reporters who was sent for an on site show called me.

"Mr. Sharma I am really sorry but I cannot talk to you right now. The promotion meeting is about to begin and we don't have all employees present. I need to look into-"

Just as I was about to complete, he interrupted, "Shivika listen! Ashutosh has got into a major truck accident here just a minute away from our site." That's all he said when I rushed out of my cabin.

All I could comprehend was my husband was hurt and he needed me. I sat in my car and started driving through the morning traffic, when Mr. Sharma texted me the hospital address.

He is a very kind senior but my concern right now was reaching to my love as soon as possible. It took me 30-40 minutes to reach and I am sure Ashu was over-speeding to reach on time. Careless idiot!

As I entered, I went to the reception, "Ashutosh! Ashutosh Mehta, where is he?" "Who are you ma'am?" The receptionist asked. "Hi-his wife, Shivika Mehta! Please, where is he?"

Only I knew how I was controlling myself from breaking down. Its all my fault! He rushed so I don't get angry! Hey Krishn, please mere Ashu ko theek karo... The receptionist told me the way to the ICU.

As I went there a doctor came out, "Doctor! I'm the pa-patient's wife... How is he? Is he severely hurt? Please tell Dr." I pleaded him when he gestured me to his cabin. We settled in the cabin as I looked at him hopefully, my eyes holding the same questions.

"Mrs. Mehta, his condition is pretty critical. He has suffered a severe head injury and a spinal injury, both injuries affecting his nervous organs there are high chances he may suffer paralysis"

"Do you mean complete paralysis?

"We can't tell that right now... He currently is under the dose of anaesthesia, all I can say is to wait until he gains consciousness"

"Ok, th-thanks doctor."

I exited the cabin and saw that Ashutosh was being shifted out of the ICU meaning I could go to him. Until they shift him, I decided to tell our family about it and dialled Maa(Vaishnavi). "H-hello maa!" "Arree Shivika kya hua?"

Her voice was worried but contained more irritation and annoyance. "M-maa woh Ashu-ashutosh-" "Kya hua usse Shivika?!" I had somehow composed myself as I spoke, "Maa he got into an accident, please come to the City Hospital with Jaanvi di and Samar"

I say composing myself as I hear her cursing me, well I deserve it! Its all my fault...

I then called Papa(Aditya), "Papa" I broke down... I couldn't hold myself any more.

"Kya hua Shivika? Kyu ro rahi hai? Vaishanvi ne kuchh bola tujhe?" No papa, she did not say anything, it all due to me.

"Papa! Ashu g-got in an accident, please c-come to City Hospital"

"Shivika shaant hoja, aa raha hu mai! Vaishnavi ko bataya?" He said in a monotone unlike his usual strict but warm tone.

"Hanji papa, maa ko bataya hai."

He did not accept our wedding but never once blamed me for anything but now... now I can feel the disappointment and anger in his voice. He blames me too.