XVIII: MISERY

Hope's Peak Academy

It was supposed to be a normal school day, the same kind of day that passed again and again. Things were calm around the Reserve Department, that was until four days ago. Right when school was supposed to start, students noticed police cars parked near the department's main gate. They eventually heard that a student was murdered in the music room, and the killer was still at large. They concluded that the killer was a pervert since a school swimsuit was stolen, not to mention that said swimsuit belonged to a female student. The victim was a girl named Natsumi Kuzuryu, the little sister of the Ultimate Yakuza, Fuyuhiko Kuzuryu, who was attending Hope's Peak Academy as well. But unlike Fuyuhiko, Natsumi didn't possess a talent like her big brother, so she was thrown into the Reserve Course with the other students who didn't possess a talent.

At this point in time, the murder of Natsumi Kuzuryu was still a mystery... well, one student knew the truth. That student was the only person that Natsumi hung out with during her time in the Reserve Course, and that same student was currently standing in front of the main building of Hope's Peak Academy. The student who knew the truth behind Natsumi's murder was Hajime Hinata, and he wanted answers from the higher-ups in the academy.

Hajime discovered that another student in the Reserve Course, a girl named Sato, was the one who murdered Natsumi. He confronted her after she finished talking to a friend of hers and asked her about the murder, and that ended with her running away. It was clear that Sato regretted what she did, and it looked like she couldn't cope with the guilt. 

Unfortunately, Sato didn't show up to school the next day, or the next day, or the day after that. And then, on the fourth day... they finally found Sato's body. Hajime never saw the body, but he believed that Sato didn't take her own life... he believed that she was also murdered.

Hajime knew that Sato's friend was in the Main Course, the same person that was talking to Sato before he confronted her. That student was a girl named Mahiru Koizumi, the Ultimate Photographer. That's the reason why Hajime was standing in front of the Main Course's building, he wanted to find Mahiru and talk to her about what happened. Maybe by talking to Mahiru, Hajime would find all the pieces to this puzzle. He was about to take his first step through the gate, but a voice called out to him before he could move further.

Security Guard: "Freeze, kid! That's a Reserve Course uniform! Where the hell do you think you're going?!" It was one of the many security guards hired to patrol the campus, and this one didn't sound friendly in the slightest.

Hajime: "I won't be long. I need to ask Mahiru in the Main Course a question."

Security Guard: "No way."

Hajime: "But-"

Security Guard: "No buts about it. You know the rules." It was obvious that trying to reason with this guard wasn't gonna work, so Hajime tried to run through the gate. "Hey!" But he didn't get far before the guard grabbed Hajime by the shoulders.

Hajime: "Look, I need to get in there-" Unexpectedly, someone approached Hajime from behind, grabbed his left shoulder, and threw him to the ground. The impact was enough to hurt Hajime, but he was still able to look up at the person that appeared without saying a word.

Juzo: "Rules don't apply to you, is that it?" It was Juzo Sakakura, a man that would eventually become a key member of the Future Foundation.

Hajime: "I... know you."

Juzo: "Then you know I'm in charge of security for all of Hope's Peak. I'll let it go just this once, now get the hell out of here." The look on his face showed that he didn't care about anything Hajime had to say, and after he told Hajime to skedaddle, he turned around and started to walk away.