Three: Cracks in the Foundation

The air in the apartment felt thick with tension

The air in the apartment felt thick with tension. Y/N sat on the couch, scrolling aimlessly through her phone, waiting for Yoongi to come home. He had promised, just like he had the night before, that they would spend time together tonight. But hours had passed, and once again, she was left alone, staring at the empty space around her.

When the door finally opened, it was well past 10 p.m. Yoongi walked in, looking tired, his hair disheveled and his eyes heavy with exhaustion. He barely glanced in her direction as he set his bag down and kicked off his shoes.

"Hey," he mumbled, heading straight for the kitchen.

Y/N bit her lip, fighting the frustration that had been simmering all day. She had waited, once again, and all he could manage was a tired, half-hearted greeting. She stood up, her hands trembling slightly as she followed him into the kitchen.

"Yoongi," she started, trying to keep her voice calm, "we need to talk."

He turned to face her, his expression already guarded. "About what? I just got home."

"Exactly," Y/N replied, her voice growing sharper. "You just got home, and it's late—again. You promised we'd spend time together tonight. This was supposed to be our fresh start, but it's like nothing's changed."

Yoongi sighed, running a hand through his hair. "I'm trying, Y/N. I've been busy at the studio. You know how much work we have going on right now."

"That's the problem!" she snapped, unable to hold back any longer. "You're always busy with work. When was the last time we actually spent time together, just the two of us? This move was supposed to help us, to help *us*, Yoongi, not pull you even further away."

He looked at her, his expression hardening. "I'm doing this for us. You act like I'm just out there wasting time, but I'm working to build something for us, for our future."

Y/N's chest tightened with frustration and hurt. "I don't need a future where I never see you! I need you *now*. But all you do is work, and when you're not working, you're too tired to even talk to me."

The silence between them was heavy, Yoongi staring at her with a mix of exhaustion and impatience. "I don't know what you want from me, Y/N. I'm doing the best I can."

"I want you to care," she whispered, her voice breaking. "I want you to care about *me* the way you care about your work."

Yoongi opened his mouth to respond, but no words came. His silence was louder than anything he could have said.

Y/N felt tears welling up in her eyes, and before she could stop herself, they spilled over. "You know what?" she said, her voice trembling, "Forget it. I'm done with this conversation."

She turned on her heel and walked out of the kitchen, her vision blurry as she grabbed her jacket and slipped on her shoes. Yoongi didn't follow her. He didn't say a word as she opened the door and stepped outside.

The cold night air hit her face, and she welcomed it, letting it cool the burning in her cheeks. Her heart was pounding, and the lump in her throat felt like it was choking her. She needed space, air, anything to escape the suffocating tension in that apartment.

She barely made it halfway down the hallway before the sobs came. She leaned against the wall, her shoulders shaking as she buried her face in her hands. This was supposed to be their fresh start. How had it turned into this?

♥︎༞♥︎༞♥︎༞♥︎༞♥︎༞♥︎༞♥︎

Seokjin was just about to head to bed when he heard the raised voices through the wall. At first, he tried to ignore it, not wanting to intrude on what was clearly a personal argument. But then, the voices grew louder, and he recognized Y/N's voice—strained, upset.

His heart clenched when he heard the door to her apartment open and close. A few moments later, he heard soft footsteps in the hallway, and when he peeked out of his window, he saw her. Y/N, standing alone, her body hunched in on itself as she leaned against the wall, crying.

Without thinking, Seokjin grabbed his jacket and stepped out of his apartment. His footsteps were quiet, but when he approached her, he could see the way her shoulders trembled with every sob. It tore at something deep inside him.

"Y/N," he said softly, approaching her slowly, not wanting to startle her.

She looked up, her face streaked with tears, and for a moment, she seemed too overwhelmed to respond. But the second she saw him, something in her broke, and she let out a shaky breath, wiping at her face with the back of her hand.

"Jin," she managed, her voice weak and raw.

He stepped closer, his expression gentle and filled with concern. "Hey, it's okay," he murmured, reaching out to place a hand on her arm. "I heard...well, I heard everything. Do you want to talk about it?"

Y/N shook her head, her throat tight with emotion. "I...I can't. I'm just so tired, Jin. So tired of feeling like I don't matter."

Seokjin frowned, his heart aching for her. He didn't know the full extent of what was going on between her and Yoongi, but it was clear that she was hurting deeply.

Without thinking, he pulled her into a hug, his arms wrapping around her gently but firmly, offering the comfort she so desperately needed. For a moment, Y/N stiffened in his embrace, but then she melted into him, burying her face in his chest as her tears flowed freely.

"I'm sorry," she whispered against his shirt. "I shouldn't be crying like this in front of you."

"Don't apologize," Seokjin said softly, stroking her back in slow, soothing circles. "You don't have to be strong all the time. It's okay to cry."

They stood like that for a long time, Y/N pressed against him, her sobs slowly quieting as she calmed down in the warmth of his arms. Seokjin held her, his heart pounding in his chest, a mixture of protectiveness and something deeper swirling inside him. He hadn't planned on this. He hadn't planned on getting so involved. But here she was, fragile and broken in his arms, and all he wanted to do was make her feel better.

When she finally pulled back, her eyes were puffy, and her cheeks were red, but she gave him a small, grateful smile.

"Thank you," she whispered, her voice hoarse. "I didn't mean for you to get involved."

"I'm glad I did," he said softly, brushing a tear from her cheek with his thumb. "I'm always here for you, Y/N. You don't have to go through this alone."

Their eyes met, and for a moment, the world seemed to fall away. Seokjin's hand lingered on her cheek, his thumb gently caressing her skin. Y/N's breath hitched, and she felt her heart race, the closeness between them sending a shiver down her spine.

Seokjin's gaze flickered to her lips, and for a second, Y/N wondered if he was going to kiss her. Her mind screamed at her to pull away, but her body leaned in, drawn to him in a way that was undeniable.

And then, just before anything could happen, Seokjin's hand dropped, his expression softening. He stepped back, giving her space.

"Let's get you inside," he said, his voice gentle. "You need rest."

Y/N nodded, her heart still racing as she followed him back toward her apartment. But even as they walked, she couldn't shake the feeling that something had shifted between them. Something she wasn't sure she could ignore anymore.