xxxvii. 𝐚𝐧 𝐮𝐧𝐜𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐦𝐨𝐧𝐢𝐨𝐮𝐬 𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐜𝐮𝐞

//chapter thirty-seven• an unceremonious rescue

• an unceremonious rescue

𓅰彡𝐏𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐄𝐍𝐓 𝐃𝐀𝐘

THE COT OF LEAVES that Andrew shared with JJ let the chilly air of the morning roll underneath it with the breeze, keeping them cool. With his untreatable fever, Andrew appreciated that. From the day they'd gotten stuck on this island, all the teenagers woke up with the sun, no matter what. It was thanks to Sarah that they could sleep somewhat comfortably, but they had all hit the point where sleep knocked them out, simply because they were that exhausted by the end of the day.

And right now, Andrew's eyes are still clogged with sleep and unable to get themselves open, fighting a fever. His weight against JJ, face buried in the crook of his boyfriend's neck, keeping it dark and keeping him asleep. Andrew jolts when someone starts yelling, sending pain through his injured and infect leg.

JJ lightly holds him closer, and Andrew buries his head deeper.

"Why's your best friend yelling right now?" he asks, lips moving against the blond's collarbone.

JJ hums noncommittally. "Before sunrise, he's Kie's best friend."

There's a moment of silence, and they settle back to sleep, shuffling around for the other's body heat. Whatever crisis John B is having, it can wait. Usually it's about asking whether or not the bug near his foot is dangerous or not. He can handle himself. Well most of-

"There's a plane!"

Andrew freezes, feeling JJ tense up against him. Andrew wonders for a second if John B's lost all his marbles, which wouldn't exactly be a surprise considering he only has half of them on a good day. JJ sits up as Andrew struggles to roll over, attacked by pain in his own body.

Still, he sees it.

A white plane is circling the island.

Andrew's stomach drops then soars, and JJ's on his feet before he can register what he's seeing, adrenaline and hope surging through his veins.

Pope was already gone, going to light the pyre on top of the cliff, to signal that they're here, that they're alive, stranded, and that they want to go home.

After a few, long, excruciating minutes waiting for Pope and Cleo to light the fire and then for the plane to notice it, they watch as it turns around in the direction of the cliff, heaving out sighs and whooping in the air.

"He's turning around!"

"He sees us!"

JJ runs back into the cave for Andrew, who can't actually stand up on his own. As much as JJ could be fine, staying on this island for the rest of his life, since OBX hadn't ever given him anything, Andrew was dying.