30.CONFRONTATION

Karn - 30 years

Yudhisthir - 27 years

Bhima & Duryodhan - 26 years

Arjun - 25 years

Nakul & Sahadev - 23 years

Abhimanyu - 3 years

(At dyut Sabha, Hastinapur)

When Karna reached the ostentatious dyut sabha, a wave of dread washed over him. The guards, who usually stood alert at the dozens of gates, were now a scattered, nervous lot, their minds clearly elsewhere. The din from inside the hall was deafening, a cacophony of voices overlapping in a chaotic frenzy. Karna's heart pounded as he quickened his pace, the ominous sense that he was already too late gnawing at him.

As he strode inside, not a single soul attempted to stop him, despite his battle gear. The scene that greeted him was one of pure horror. A faint wail reached his ears-a woman's cry, pierced by the triumphant shout of Duryodhana.

"It wouldn't have mattered if you were dragged here naked! What respect does a triumphed dasi deserve? Dushasana, disrobe her! Let me see how my dasi truly looks!"

The assembly erupted into a fever pitch, the air thick with malevolent excitement. Karna's blood boiled as he rushed forward. There, before his eyes, was Dushasana, leering as he advanced towards Draupadi. She stood, a lone figure, clad in a single cloth, desperately clutching it to preserve her modesty. The sight seared itself into Karna's mind, like a flaming brand on his soul.

Without a second thought, Karna drew his bow, his hands moving with the swiftness of divine wrath. An arrow shot forth, landing with a resounding thud between Dushasana and Draupadi. The entire assembly fell into stunned silence. Dushasana stumbled back in shock, losing his balance and falling to the floor, his arrogance momentarily shattered.

Karna's eyes blazed with fury as he invoked the AAindraastra. Before anyone could comprehend what was happening, the arrow had transformed, encircling Draupadi with a protective ring. The arrows rose, standing tall like an impenetrable fortress, forming a cage that shielded her from further humiliation.

Dushasana, now trembling in fear, began to crawl backwards, his bravado reduced to nothing. The crowd, momentarily stunned, erupted into a fresh wave of panic and confusion.

"Is it Arjun? Has he had enough of the humiliation?"

"How can anyone bring weapons into the assembly?"

Bhishma, Drona, Ashwatthama, Vidura, Shakuni, Duryodhana, and the others sprang to their feet, their expressions a mixture of disbelief and anger.

"Who dares to attack the Kurus? Whose death wish is it?" Duryodhana bellowed, his face contorted in rage.

The great warriors, Bhishma, Drona, Ashwatthama, and Kripa, stood frozen, caught off guard by the sudden turn of events. Their faces betrayed a conflict of emotions-relief that Draupadi had been spared further indignity, but also fury that someone had dared to challenge the Kuru authority in their sacred assembly.

The Pandavas, who had momentarily felt a surge of hope, now found themselves unable to meet Karna's eyes. The intensity of his gaze, the sheer force of his presence, made them lower their heads in shame.

"I am Karna, son of Suta Adhiratha," he declared, his voice echoing through the silent hall. He stood, unwavering, unbothered by the hostile glares directed at him, his hand still on his bow.

"Suta-putra! You insolent wretch! You dare to bring weapons here?" Duryodhana's voice cracked with fury, his face flushing with indignation.

"Why, Prince Duryodhana," Karna replied with cold sarcasm, "I heard that the greatest display of valor and kshatriya dharma was taking place in this sabha. Witnessing your noble deeds filled with supreme dharma, I couldn't resist the urge to intervene."