Chapter Sixteen

The fortune teller has Rachel at the edge of her seat. "I see happiness in your future, a happy reunion," Her eyes go wide, "Do you see Cole in my future?" She asks with hope in her voice. "I see a male but I can't see a name,"

"Of course you do," I whisper under my breath.

"Would you like me to look into your future?" She asks me, and I am taken aback by her sudden attention to me. "Oh, no thank you," I kindly reject her offer.

Rachel stands up, her eyes watering a bit. "Come on, let's see what's in your future, I'll pay for it if you want me to," She's begging with her bottom lip stuck out. I roll my eyes and sit down. Before I can grab any cash for her, she grabs my hand and her eyes close tight. The elderly lady starts to pull her grey brows together and her forehead creases even more.

Her grip on my hand tightens, she's pretty strong for an old lady, I think to myself. "What do you see?" Rachel asks, standing right beside me.

"Oh my, you have two mysterious orbs shadowing you. I see a light grey one that doesn't seem to be giving off any bad vibes, but the other one is as black as night. Someone wants to hurt you, evil is pouring off of this person. You must stay away," I pull my hand from her hold and stand up. "What do you get out of scaring people like that?" I spit at her, and the look on her face almost makes me regret saying it.

She uses the table to help her stand, and her bony finger points directly at me, "Stay away from the darkness, he will get you. When it matters, take the path to your right, not the left," She says, as I walk out of the tent and take a deep breath. "Who do you think is after you?" Rachel asks, seeming to be more scared than I've ever seen her.

"That was just a show. All these people want is to take gullible people's money and fill them full of bologna" Rachel's face falls slightly, and I automatically feel like shit. "I'm sure she was somewhat right about your future though," I rub her arm and smile.

"Let's grab some food then we can head to the corn maze," I suggest, and it seems to lighten her mood because she loops her arm through mine and we take off to find something to eat.

We found some food trucks and I chose the burrito truck and Rachel decided on the burgers and shakes truck. My burrito was almost as big as my head, but I somehow managed to eat over half before I got too full. The best food normally comes from trucks, I've always found it better than going into a restaurant.

Once we finish our food, Rach grabs her shake and we start off to the maze. The line to get in is long, so we take our spot and wait. Rachel pulls her phone from my bag and powers it on. I keep an eye on her, but I don't want to be too overbearing, I just don't want to see her disappointed if he still hasn't messaged her.

After a few minutes, she's typing like a mad woman, "Who are you writing a book to?" I ask and laugh. Her eyes are happy, and she smiles back. "It's Cole, he said it was all a misunderstanding and that he is sorry. He wanted me to go out to eat with him, but I told him we are out of town for the night,".

"Do you want to go back?" I ask, holding my breath a little. She put her phone in my bag, and I decided since we still had a few minutes of waiting I would check mine too. "Nope, I came here to spend time with you. I want to go through this maze, he can wait until tomorrow,".

I have a few notifications, and when I go through them my breath catches in my throat and I start to choke. The unknown number sent pictures of me and Rachel as we walked around town today. I'm getting closer. I can hear my heart pounding in my ears, and by the time I regain my breath the line is gone and it's our turn to go in.

I look around one last time before I head in with a confused-looking Rachel at my side. "Are you okay?"

I nod, because I don't trust my voice. I notice a text from Kyle demanding to know where I am, but I ignore him. I will call him when we get back to the house. I replaced my phone in my bag, and by now we have turned several corners and I have no clue where we are.

"Umm, let's go this way," Rachel says and turns to the left, there isn't much lighting through the field so it's a little hard to see anything. These boots were not a good idea either now that I am walking through the field, the ground is wet and muddy and I keep sinking into the mud in some places.

I step in a puddle and my foot gets stuck and when I stop to get it out, it makes a nasty squelch noise from the suction as the boot is pulled out. I stand up straight and notice that Rachel kept going.

"Rachel, wait up," I yell, and start walking faster to catch up. After a few minutes of speed walking, I am even more lost than I was, and I still haven't seen or heard Rachel anywhere.

"Rachel," I yell louder, but I don't get a response.

I hear something brush against the corn behind me and I turn, "Thank god you came ba..." My words trail off when I see a masked figure standing in front of me about twenty yards away. I slowly start to take small steps backward, as if the masked person noticed, he tilts his head slowly to the side. My heart is beating so freaking hard, I think I may have a heart attack.

There's a noise that comes from behind him, enough to distract him, and I take off running in the direction I was slowly going seconds ago. I turned my head to look back to see if he was following me and sure enough they were. They're not running like I am, but with how long their legs are they could speed walk and still keep up with my fully sprinted.

I make several random turns and when I come to a dead end, I retrace my steps to the opening. I can hear someone walking through the mud, getting closer. Think, Amelia, think, I tell myself. That fortune lady said when the right comes turn right, not left.

I take off to the right, and when I get to another dead end, I sigh in frustration. I don't hear the footsteps coming so maybe I am safe now. I back into the corn stocks off the trail and crouch down, I hold a hand to my mouth to quiet my breathing. Then, I remember I have my phone. I pull it out and mentally slap myself because Rachel is out there somewhere without a phone at all.

I can try to call someone, maybe the police to have them come get me out of this maze with my crazy stalker out there. A hand covers my mouth from behind and I jump, dropping my phone. I stand slowly, and I can already feel the hot tears running down my cheeks. I'm going to die, and no one will know where I am.