Chapter Sixteen

The gym was packed with people, but it felt eerily quiet. The memorial for Hannah was set up with flowers, candles, and a giant framed picture of her at the front of the room. It was surreal, seeing her smile in that photo, looking innocent and carefree, as if she hadn't just been found dead days ago. The weight of the event hung heavy in the air. Teachers, students, and even parents filled the seats, all of them staring ahead with somber faces. I sat near the back, trying to keep my thoughts steady, but it was impossible.

Hannah's parents were on stage now. Her mom, Mrs. Frost, looked pale and gaunt, as if the grief had drained the life out of her. She clutched a crumpled tissue in her hand, her voice shaky as she stepped up to the microphone.

"We... we can't even bury her yet," she choked out, her voice breaking with every word. "Her body is still... still with the coroner. They need to do more tests, more... more postmortem work. I just... I just want my baby girl back. I want her to rest."

Her dad stood beside her, his hand gripping her shoulder, trying to keep her steady. His face was stony, but his eyes glistened with unshed tears. "We thought we'd be planning her graduation," he said, his voice low and strained. "Not this. Never this."

The room was silent. The kind of silence that felt suffocating, like everyone was afraid to breathe too loudly, afraid to disturb the rawness of their pain. I stared at the ground, my hands clasped in my lap, but I couldn't help the bitter thought that crept into my mind.

Sweet? Kind? Helpful? Was this the same Hannah they were talking about? The girl who humiliated me in front of everyone, mocked me, and spread rumors? I almost laughed out loud but quickly suppressed it. I knew that would only bring more trouble. Instead, I glanced to the side, catching sight of Hallowe standing near the back. His eyes were trained on me, cold and calculating, as if he could read every bitter thought in my head.

I looked away, a shiver crawling up my spine. Why did he always look at me like that? Like he was waiting for me to slip up.

"Hey," a soft voice beside me said, pulling me out of my thoughts. Sebastian had slipped into the seat next to mine, his presence calming in a way I hadn't expected. "You okay?"

I shrugged, barely glancing at him. "What do you think?"

He sighed, leaning back in his chair. "Yeah, stupid question."

We sat there in silence for a moment as one of Hannah's friends stepped up to the podium to give a speech. The girl was fighting back tears, talking about how Hannah was always so "sweet" and "caring," how she "never had a bad word to say about anyone."

I almost rolled my eyes. I could barely listen anymore. The room felt too small, too hot. My skin prickled with irritation, and I shifted uncomfortably in my seat.

Sebastian seemed to sense my discomfort. "You don't have to stay, you know. We could leave."

I shook my head. "No. I... I have to see this through."

He didn't argue, but I could feel his eyes on me, studying me in that quiet, thoughtful way he always did. After a few minutes, I couldn't take the silence between us anymore.

"Do you ever wonder why life is so... unfair?" I blurted out, my voice low but filled with frustration.

He raised an eyebrow, surprised by my sudden question. "What do you mean?"

I stared at the front of the room, watching as Hannah's parents clung to each other, their grief on full display for everyone to see. "This... all of this. Why is it always the good people who get hurt? Why do people like Hannah—people who do terrible things—get remembered as saints? And why am I the one Hallowe keeps staring at, like I did something wrong?"

Sebastian glanced towards Hallowe, then back at me, his expression darkening. "I don't know. The world's messed up, Mia. People believe what they want to believe. And Hallowe... he's looking for someone to blame."

"Yeah, but why me?" I whispered harshly, my fingers gripping the edges of my seat. "Why does it always feel like everything's stacked against me? No matter what I do, I'm always the one people point fingers at. Chad gets away with everything, Hannah tortures me, and now... now she's dead and somehow I'm still the villain."

Sebastian frowned, his voice soft but firm. "You're not the villain, Mia. Don't let them make you think that."

I met his gaze, my eyes searching his face for some kind of answer. "Then why does it feel like I am? Why does it feel like I have to fight for every breath while everyone else just... coasts by?"

His expression softened, and for a moment, he didn't say anything. Then, quietly, he leaned in, his voice just above a whisper. "Maybe we shouldn't wait for answers to come to us. Maybe we should find them ourselves."

I blinked, not expecting that response. "What do you mean?"

"I mean... what if we don't wait for Hallowe to figure it out? What if we do our own investigation? Find out who really did this to Hannah? Maybe then you can finally get some peace."

I stared at him, my heart racing at the thought. It was crazy. But then again, everything about this situation was crazy. And deep down, I knew I couldn't just sit around and wait for the world to give me a break. I had to take control.

"You really think we could do that?" I asked, my voice shaky with both fear and excitement.

Sebastian nodded, his green eyes steady and determined. "Yeah. I do."

For the first time in what felt like forever, I allowed myself to hope. Maybe this was the answer. Maybe this was how I could finally get out from under the weight of all the accusations, all the whispers and stares.

"Okay," I said softly, my heart pounding in my chest. "Let's do it."

Sebastian smiled, that familiar warmth in his eyes. And just like that, for the first time in a long time, I didn't feel so alone.