Chapter Six

The cold air hit me like a slap as I walked out of the schoolyard. The sting of Hannah's humiliation still lingered, making each step feel heavier than the last. My house was only fifteen minutes away, but it felt like miles.

As I headed down the street, I heard footsteps pounding behind me. I turned to see Sebastian sprinting towards me, a look of determination on his face. He finally caught up, panting slightly. "Hey, Mia! I was hoping to catch you before you left."

I didn't say anything, I just continued walking. Sebastian, undeterred, fell into step beside me. "So, how was the exam? Did you think it went well?"

I shrugged, focusing on the pavement. "It was okay."

Sebastian chattered on, seemingly oblivious to my mood. "You know, I've seen you around and thought walking together would be nice. We haven't talked before, but you seem interesting. What do you like to do outside of school? Any hobbies?"

I could feel my patience wearing thin. His cheerful prattle, so out of sync with my world, grated on me. "Why are you even talking to me?" I snapped, spinning to face him. "What's your intention here?"

Sebastian stopped in his tracks, his face falling. "I—I just wanted to be friendly. I didn't mean to—"

"Friendly?" I interrupted, my voice rising. "What's the point of being friendly? Do you think you can just waltz into my life and everything will be sunshine and rainbows? Do you have some hidden agenda or something? Because I'm not in the mood for your charity!"

Sebastian looked taken aback, hurt flickering in his eyes. He opened his mouth to respond but was cut off by my outburst.

"I'm tired of people pretending to care just for the sake of it!" I continued, tears of frustration and anger mingling with the cold wind. "I don't need someone to feel sorry for me or play the hero. I just want to be left alone!"

Sebastian's shoulders slumped, but he remained calm. "I'm sorry if I overstepped," he said quietly. "I didn't mean to make things harder for you. I just thought you might need someone to talk to."

His kindness only fueled my anger further. "Why can't people just leave me alone? Why does everyone have to get involved?"

Sebastian took a deep breath, his expression softening despite my harsh words. "Look, Mia, I'm not trying to push you. I just wanted to be here if you needed someone. If you'd rather be alone, I understand. But I really do care. I'm here if you change your mind."

He stepped back, giving me space, though his gaze remained steady and sincere. I felt a pang of guilt mixed with the exhaustion of the day's emotional upheaval. I turned away, the weight of my outburst sinking in.

"Sorry," I mumbled, not quite meeting his eyes. "I'm just... not myself right now."

Sebastian nodded, giving me a small, understanding smile. "No problem. I hope things get better for you, Mia."

As he walked away, I was left alone with my thoughts, feeling a mix of regret and relief. The evening air seemed colder now.