chapter 5

As I sat at my desk, staring blankly at my computer screen, my mind wandered back to the Stranger

As I sat at my desk, staring blankly at my computer screen, my mind wandered back to the Stranger. His piercing blue eyes haunted me, and I couldn't shake off the feeling that our paths were intertwined.

Why did he keep helping me?

Was it coincidence?

Or something more?

I replayed the attack in my mind. The Stranger's timely intervention, his strength and calm demeanor. The way he looked at me, as if I was the only person in the world.

And then the texts.

"Sleep well, Amelia."

How did he know my name?

How did he always end up in the right place at the right time? A shiver ran down my spine.

Was I being stalked?

Or protected?

My thoughts swirled, leaving me dizzy and confused. Rachel's words echoed in my mind: "Maybe he's just a good Samaritan."

But I knew better.

There was something more. A connection. Unexplained.

Unseen.

But palpable.

I felt it. Like an invisible thread tying us together. Stranger. Why did I feel this way? Was I losing my mind? Or was my heart trying to tell me something?

As I pondered, memories flooded my mind. The way the Stranger's eyes crinkled at the corners when he smiled. The gentle way he touched my arm. The reassuring tone of his voice.

My skin tingled.

I couldn't deny it. I felt drawn to him. Like a moth to flame. Dangerous. Yet irresistible. What was it about him?

His bravery?

His kindness?

Or something deeper?

I sighed, frustration etched on my face. Why couldn't I understand these emotions? Just then, my phone buzzed.

Unknown: You're safe, Amelia.

My heart skipped a beat.

Stranger.

My fingers trembled as I typed:

Me: Who are you?

The response came instantly:

Unknown: Someone who cares.

Tears pricked at the corners of my eyes. No one had ever made me feel this way. Seen. Heard. Understood.

The Stranger's words wrapped around my heart like a warm hug.

For the first time in weeks, I felt a sense of peace.