chapter 8

I stepped into my apartment, dropping my purse and coat on the floor

I stepped into my apartment, dropping my purse and coat on the floor. Exhaustion weighed me down after a long day at the office. But as I closed the door behind me, a shiver ran down my spine. Something felt off.

The apartment was dark, eerily silent. I could've sworn I'd left the living room lamp on before leaving for work. My fingers trembled slightly as I fumbled for the light switch.

As the lights flickered to life, I scanned my surroundings. Everything seemed in order – furniture in its place, no signs of disarray. Yet, the atmosphere felt oppressive, heavy with an unspoken threat.

My heart began to beat faster. I tried to shake off the feeling, telling myself I was just being paranoid. But my instincts refused to listen.

I noticed the window was open, the curtains billowing gently in the breeze. I distinctly remembered closing it before leaving. A chill crept up my neck.

No, no, no. This isn't right.

I checked the rest of the apartment, my senses on high alert. The kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom all seemed untouched. Still, the sense of unease lingered.

I collapsed onto my soft, comfy mattress, exhaustion consuming me. "I'm so tired that I can't even change my clothes," I whispered to myself, eyes already drifting shut.

But before I could succumb to sleep, a voice pierced the silence.

"Allow me."

I froze, my heart skipping a beat. That voice... it was deep, raspy, and ridiculously attractive. But who was speaking? And how did they get into my apartment?

I sprang up, scanning the room frantically. That's when I saw him – leaning against my bedroom doorframe, eyes gleaming in the dim light.

Tall, chiseled features, and piercing black eyes that seemed to see right through me. His dark hair was messy, and his sharp jawline was accentuated by a hint of stubble. A faded black T-shirt clung to his broad shoulders, and worn jeans hugged his lean legs.

My mind went blank. Who was this stranger in my bedroom?

"Mind if I help?"

"Wh-who are you?" I stuttered, trying to sound braver than I felt.

He chuckled, the sound low and husky. "Someone who's been waiting for you, Amelia."

My name on his lips sent shivers down my spine. How did he know my name?

I edged backward, my eyes darting toward the phone on my nightstand. "Get out of my apartment."

He raised an eyebrow, his gaze never leaving mine. "I think you need my help, Amelia. You look... exhausted."

The way he said my name, the concern etched on his face... it was disarming. But I couldn't shake off the unease.

"How did you get in?" I demanded, trying to keep my voice steady.