Chapter 9: Hurt

That should be me! Nightpaw fumed. I should be recieving attention from Sunstorm, not that mouse-brained Riverpaw! 

She watched Riverpaw and Sunstorm act like lovebirds from the apprentice's den. 

She glared at them before bounding away into the forest to hunt. 

She could catch a kestrel, to show them! 

She paused, listened, and caught sight of a kestrel in the branches of a tree. She crouched, stalking toward it, and pounced. It was a very hard catch. The kestrel fluttered for a moment when she pinned it to the ground and pecked her paw. 

There was a loud CRACK! and she shrieked in fury, not caring she had swiped the kestrel with her other paw and it was dead. 

⋆.˚✮ ꩜ . ✮˚.⋆

"Riverpaw, do you want to go on a walk with me tomorrow?" Sunstorm asked hopefully.

"Um, sure!"

Sunstorm's whole face lit up and he purred, but was interrupted by a yowl of pain.

It was Nightpaw, carrying a kestrel in her jaws and limping into the camp. 

Her right left paw was twisted and crooked and definitely broken.

Dawnmist, Nightpaw's mother, bounded up frantically with the medicine cats, Shadowheart and Rowanpaw, on her tail.

"Her paw's broken!" Dawnmist wailed, "I've already lost Blossomkit, don't let me lose her!" 

Shadowheart waved the queen away and hurried Nightpaw into the medicine den while Cedarwood put the kestrel on the fresh-kill pile. 

"She probably wanted to impress you." Riverpaw muttered bitterly.

Sunstorm sighed, "You're right. I know she likes me. But I already like another cat." 

Riverpaw glanced at him, but he was looking at his paws with a shy expression.

She felt her spirits lift, Sunstorm didn't like Nightpaw!