Chapter Eleven

"Good morning to the winners and the defeated". Adamu, one of the students of SS3A shouted on Friday morning as everyone was seated, waiting for the first lesson of the day.

Noticing eyes on him, probably wondering what he meant, he shouted again.

Oh I guess some people might not understand what I mean, so let me break it down. Good morning to the winners and the losers. He said obviously looking towards the direction of Garba's seat which made the whole class burst into laughter.

Garba had stayed clear of everyone's path for the rest of the week, so they all acted as if nothing happened. But Adamu who was another trouble maker in the class, decided to rub salt to his wound.

Good morning to the underestimated and the overestimated students in class. This time, it was Zee who joined in the shout as she just got an opportunity to pay back all the bullying she faced in his hands.

Good morning to the seekers and givers of trouble. Dorris chipped in, backing her friend while the other two did nothing but laugh.
Good morning to the winners and losers of battle, another student shouted from the back.

The whole class was turned upside down with noise, with only Garba not finding the situation funny and Khadeejah having her eyes buried in her book acting oblivious to what was happening.

What is all these about? The class teacher thundered, making everyone behave in order. Is this how senior students are supposed to be behaving? What image are you portraying to your juniors that look up to you as figures of emulation?

Class prefect, Mr Barde called to which Dawud replied. The next time I meet this class in disarray, be sure that I will hold you responsible. Is that understood? Yes sir. He gave a curt reply.

Now all of you should bring out your books and get ready before the teacher comes in and stop behaving like vagabonds. He concluded as he moved towards his desk, oblivious of the amusing stares flying around as they found his choice of words funny.

**

It was a cold Monday morning, marking the beginning of yet another week as they all got ready for the day's work. Ibrahim had spent the night at the hospital as he was the doctor on shift and Sumayyah was supposedly writing two exams that same day, one in the morning and the next in the afternoon.

Hajiya Rabi was preparing for work, as a lecturer in the university. There were series of activities for the day and she had to be part of the afternoon invigilators so she made it clear to Ibrahim to pick up Ashraf from school to which he assured her he would be done with his shifts before afternoon.

Alhaji Sulaiman bade his family goodbye as he was going for a three day conference in Abuja. Be a good boy, okay? He told Ashraf to which he nodded smiling and waving at his father. And you, leader of all troubles, stay away from trouble. Do not give your mother a reason to worry. He told Sumayyah who looked at her mother, laughing.

She knows me well, if she creates any trouble she will end up doing double chores in this house. Let her just try me. Her mother said, threateningly rolling her eyes.

Laughing, Alhaji Sulaiman ensued her in a hug. You know she takes this habit of yours right? He whispered to her smiling. Even the way you roll your eyes, Damn! you both are so dramatic.

Relieving herself from the hug, she glared playfully at him to which he laughed, and Sumayyah joined him even without knowing what he said. She knew it was the regular teasing between her two parents.

Let me drop you both in the university before I go to my destination. They all entered, with Ashraf being dropped at school first before he zoomed to the university to drop his wife and daughter.