Chapter 20: Divided Loyalties

*ੈ‧₊˚*ੈ‧₊˚

The next morning, Camp Half-Blood was far from the peaceful haven it once was. . The demigods are divided, whispers of the impending war between the gods fueling fears and escalating the uncertainty.

As Katarina stepped out of her cabin, the morning sun cast a deceptively serene glow over the camp, belying the chaos that simmered beneath the surface. She could hear raised voices in the distance as groups of demigods clustered in heated discussions, their loyalties torn between the gods—between Zeus and Poseidon.

Katarina's heart sank. Her words had reached some, but not enough to quell the growing divide.

Katarina stood at the center of the amphitheater with Luke by her side, the wind rustling through the trees. The head counselors of the other cabins gathered around them; their faces etched with worry. Clarisse, the counselor for Ares, leaned against her spear, her eyes hard as she scanned the group.

"This is going to get ugly," Clarisse muttered, her usual brashness dampened by the gravity of the situation.

Katarina nodded in agreement; the weight of leadership heavy on their shoulders. The past few days had been a whirlwind of arguments, tension, and division. The camp, once filled with laughter and training, had descended into chaos as the demigods began choosing sides—those who believed they should ally with Poseidon and those loyal to Zeus.

Piper was pacing nearby, her face tense, while the Hermes and Apollo kids tried to mediate between the arguing demigods. Luke clenched his jaw beside Katarina, his hand resting on the hilt of his sword.

"We can't let this escalate," he said, his voice low but determined. "We need to get them to focus on what's important. This war isn't our fight."

Katarina glanced at him, sensing the unease in his tone. Luke had been quieter than usual, more on edge. She wanted to ask him what was bothering him, but now wasn't the time. There was too much at stake.

"Agreed," she replied, scanning the amphitheater where small groups of demigods continued to argue. "But how? They're scared, and fear makes people desperate."

Just as Katarina finished speaking, a loud argument broke out near the Hephaestus and Ares cabins. One of the Ares kids, gritting his teeth in fury, was yelling at a Hephaestus demigod who looked equally ready to fight.

"I'm telling you; we should be backing Zeus!"  One of the Athena kid shouted. "He's the king of the gods, not Poseidon! If we don't choose the right side, we'll be on the losing end."

The Apollo kid shot back, "And you think going against the sea god is smart? He's got the power to flood entire cities. Zeus can't control everything!"

Clarisse shoved her way between them, glaring. "Enough! You want to fight? Take it to the arena, not here."

Katarina winced, knowing that if a fight broke out, it could spiral out of control. She stepped forward, her voice firm but calm. "We need to stop turning on each other. Our strength is in our unity, not in dividing ourselves over a war we didn't start."

Luke backed her up immediately. "Katarina's right. This isn't just about gods fighting among themselves. We're demigods. We protect each other. We fight for the camp and each other, not for their wars."

The demigods hesitated, uncertainty flickering in their eyes. Piper, head counselor of Aphrodite's cabin, who had been silent for most of the meeting, finally spoke up. "Chiron's doing everything he can to figure out what's happening. We just need to keep things together until we have answers."

"But how?" one of the younger Athena kids asked, her voice trembling. "Everyone's picking sides, and it's getting worse."

Katarina looked around, the words weighing heavily on her mind. "We focus on our training. We focus on what we can control—protecting each other, protecting the camp. This war... it's bigger than us. But if we stay united, we have a chance to survive whatever comes next."

Luke's hand briefly brushed hers, a subtle gesture of support. She glanced at him, grateful for his presence beside her.

"We'll organize more patrols around the camp," Luke suggested. "Keep everyone busy. And no more fighting among cabins. If you've got energy to burn, take it to the training arenas."

The counselors nodded in agreement, though it was clear many were still uneasy. Clarisse grunted her approval, though her expression remained grim. "If anyone else wants to cause trouble, they'll answer to me."

As the counselors began dispersing to relay orders to their cabins, Katarina sighed, exhaustion settling in. She rubbed her temples, trying to ward off the headache that had been building for days.

Luke turned to her, his face softening. Katarina gave him a half-smile, though it didn't reach her eyes.

"We'll manage," he said quietly. "We always do."

She looked at him, searching his eyes for reassurance. Despite the chaos, there was a strange comfort in knowing that Luke was always by her side, helping her carry the weight. She wanted to believe him.

Katarina felt the unease in the pit of her stomach grow. She didn't know what was coming, but she could sense that the division among the demigods was only the beginning. If they didn't stop it soon, the war between the gods wouldn't just tear Olympus apart—it would tear Camp Half-Blood apart as well.

---

The sun was high over Camp Half-Blood, casting a sweltering heat over the demigods as they gathered in front of the Big House for a tense midday meeting. Katarina stood near Luke, her arms crossed, her mind racing with the gravity of what was at stake. Around them, the other head counselors—Clarisse from Ares, the Apollo twins, and a few others—waited silently. The atmosphere was thick with anticipation and worry, as they all knew what was at the heart of this meeting: the incoming war.

Mr. D stood lazily on the porch of the Big House, swirling his glass of Diet Coke like he didn't have a care in the world. But the tension in the air was unmistakable. Chiron, standing tall beside him, was the one carrying the burden of leadership. His hooves shifted uneasily as he began to speak.

"If Percy, Annabeth, and Grover do not succeed on their quest..." Chiron began, his voice deep with concern, "we could be facing a war between Zeus and Poseidon. A war that will ripple through Olympus and down to our camp."

Clarisse grunted; her brow furrowed. "So, what do we do? Just sit here and wait? If the gods start a war, it's not like we can just stay out of it."

"There isn't much we can do at the moment," Chiron replied, his tone patient but grave. "Right now, our focus needs to be on keeping the camp united. The more we fracture, the weaker we become."

Mr. D sipped his soda, not even pretending to be concerned. "Personally, I say we let them fight it out. Wouldn't be the first time those buffoons upstairs caused chaos."

Luke's jaw tightened, but he said nothing. Katarina could feel his frustration, matching her own. She glanced at him, but his face remained set in stone.

"We prepare," Chiron answered firmly. "And we keep the peace in the camp. It's the best we can do until we know the outcome of the quest."

The meeting dragged on, with each counselor voicing their concerns, but no concrete solutions emerged. The truth was, they were all helpless until they received word from Percy, Annabeth, and Grover. As the meeting came to an end, tension still clung to the air like a heavy fog.

Katarina exhaled deeply as the group began to disperse. Luke caught her eye and gestured toward the edge of the camp. "Firework Beach?" he asked, his voice low but steady.

She nodded, grateful for the chance to escape the chaos for a while. Together, they walked in silence toward the beach, where the soft crash of the waves was the only sound that greeted them. The horizon was a deep, peaceful blue, but it did nothing to soothe the storm brewing inside her.

*ੈ‧₊˚*ੈ‧₊˚