13|

Camille Martin can never forget the day she first met Maya Russell.

Something out of the blue happened while she followed the theoretical explanation of a famous chef's signature dish. Her professor's phone rang around ten-twenty. He let out a big 'Oh my God' in front of the class.

Everyone gaped at him in silence. Of course, various scenarios like someone's death, a car accident, a theft or a runaway cat were badgering minds until he announced with a big smile.

"My wife just told me I won a five million lottery."

It took a few seconds for the information to sink through. Camille involuntarily lifted her hands and clapped for him like the rest, lips stretching into a wide smile. Lucky son of a...

"I have to go, students. Goodbye," he stated, darting out of the room.

Camille stepped out into the autumn daylight with her black bag pack hung on one shoulder. It was not as pretty and festive as London City, where one could roam in the garden's seasonal walk to take aesthetic pictures of dahlias or fallen leaves. Here in this port city, you must be creative to have a bona fide experience.

Certain hills were turning golden brown, and the breeze pummelled all around. It was not cold enough to wear a brown longline coat over a T-shirt and dark wash jeans. The fashionable girls inspired her with ankle boots, plaid dresses, knit turtlenecks and burgundy sweaters over black jeans. Camille was getting obsessed day by day. Despite disliking shopping, she wanted to drop by the mall to upgrade her wardrobe for this scenic season.

Unfortunately, Liza had classes, and Miranda had skipped classes to watch the latest horror movie with her friends.

Camille had to make the best of the sudden free time. She hitched a bus near the market, which took her about twenty minutes, dropping her at the closest stop to the mall. Camille walked the rest, discovering her day rejuvenated when she caught Miranda posing in front of the coffee shop. Shawn took the photos. She almost walked over until she spotted Aaron and a few other boys from Anchor House joining them. She turned around at once and headed towards a clothing store. On arriving at the door, a hand grabbed her shoulder.

Camille turned around screaming.

"Jesus, what's wrong with you? It's me. What, you think I did not notice you?"

"Don't ever do that, Miranda," she scolded, catching two women staring at them before continuing to the next store.

"Okay, why did you run?"

"I didn't."

"Don't lie. It's Aaron, right? When will you say hello to him?"

"It doesn't matter. I like satisfying my eyes from afar."

Camille walked inside, admiring the two mannequins. One wore a blush pink jumper with a gorgeous neckline over tapered white pants, and the other in an ivory white cardigan on a walnut brown pleated skirt. She was already in love.

"Wait for me," Miranda called from behind and joined her. She scanned the racks.

"Aaron, isn't it?"

"Look, I have more important stuff to focus on right now. Yes, it was Aaron, and there were his friends. How did you ditch them?"

Miranda shrugged her shoulders.

"Bathroom, you are lucky I abandoned my boyfriend to join you."

"Touché, but I did not ask. Aren't you with the girls?"