Chapter 4

SmallPaw stirred awake, the soft sunlight filtering through the brambles of the apprentices' den. He blinked the sleep from his eyes, stretching his paws as the warmth wrapped around him like a gentle purr. Beside him, SpiderPaw was busy grooming his dark gray fur, flicking stray pieces of moss away with his tongue.

"Finally awake, huh?" SpiderPaw teased, pausing to flick an ear in SmallPaw's direction. His voice was light, filled with the kind of energy that hinted at the excitement of the day ahead. "There's a huge gathering of cats outside. LeopardSpots is in the middle of it!"

SmallPaw's ears perked up, curiosity igniting within him. "Who's LeopardSpots again?"

"She's the cream queen—the one with the beautiful spotted coat," SpiderPaw explained, his tone reverent. SmallPaw nodded, recalling her confident stride, the way she commanded attention without even trying. LeopardSpots was a respected warrior, known for her strength in battle and her kindness toward those in need, particularly after losing a kit two moons ago.

With a flick of his tail, SmallPaw peeked out of the den. A throng of clanmates buzzed near the entrance, their voices mingling in a lively chorus of excitement. He exchanged a quick glance with SpiderPaw, who nodded eagerly, and the two apprentices squeezed through the crowd, breaking into the sunlight.

At the center of it all stood LeopardSpots, tall and proud, flanked by her two kits, BeeKit and FennelKit. SmallPaw's gaze was drawn to a small red kit nestled against her side, her coat glimmering like autumn leaves, vibrant and full of life. SmallPaw's heart raced with warmth and curiosity.

"Who's she?" he whispered to YellowPaw, a silver-furred apprentice nearby.

"LeopardSpots found her abandoned in the forest," YellowPaw replied, her voice steady. "She lost a kit two moons ago and couldn't bear to see this little one alone. So she adopted her."

A swell of admiration filled SmallPaw for LeopardSpots, her kindness and strength resonating within him like a beacon of hope.

Just then, SpiderPaw perked his ears, excitement radiating from him. "What's her name, LeopardSpots?" he called out, his voice rising above the murmurs.

LeopardSpots turned, her gaze softening with pride. "I named her DawnKit," she announced, her words warm and inviting. "Her coat reminds me of the vibrant red that paints the sky at dawn—a symbol of new beginnings."

DawnKit looked up, her bright eyes meeting SmallPaw's, and smiled widely. BeeKit piped up, "DawnKit, since you're my new sister, do you like bugs? There are ants, beetles, bees—like me! There are also mosquitoes, flies, and butterflies—"

Before BeeKit could finish, FennelKit interrupted, "Why don't we explore the camp with DawnKit before you start... talking about bugs?" At that moment, TreeKit, LeafBark's kit, padded up and chimed in, "Yes! Come on, DawnKit!"

The four kits bounded away, laughter bubbling like the gentle stream nearby, as the crowd began to disperse, excitement still palpable in the air.

SmallPaw watched them play, a smile spreading across his face. The sunlight illuminated the camp, warming the earth beneath him. Yet, memories of his own kithood—of laughter shared with his sister and the comfort of his mother—washed over him, casting a fleeting shadow on his joy.

"Hey, SmallPaw, are you okay?" SpiderPaw asked, noticing the change in his friend's expression.

"Yeah, I'm fine," SmallPaw replied, though a hint of sadness lingered in his voice. "Just remembering my kithood."

SpiderPaw flicked his ear back, concern dancing in his eyes. Just then, he spotted his mentor, BlackWhisker, waiting for him. "Well, I've got to go..." he said, padding away to meet his mentor.