Part 7 - The Message

"I love you, butterflies soar,
In a garden where hearts explore.
But 'I don't like you anymore,' 
Is the knife that shatters, leaves you sore."

Morning light filtered through my curtains, but instead of warmth, it felt cold and distant. I jolted awake, heart racing, the remnants of nightmares clinging to my mind like shadows refusing to let go. My dreams had twisted into something grotesque, filled with images of him disappearing, his laughter echoing in the void, haunting me as if warning me of an impending loss.

The need to clear the chaos swirling around me consumed my thoughts. I couldn't afford to dwell on the darkness—I needed to get to Theo's house first. Every minute I spent in this haze felt like a wasted moment, a betrayal of the urgency that surrounded us.

"Mom, I'm heading out to meet some friends!" I called, forcing a casual tone that betrayed the anxiety clawing at my insides.

"Be safe, Daisy!" she replied, but there was an edge of worry in her voice that made my heart sink further.

I caught her gaze lingering on me, a mother's intuition piercing through the facade I tried to maintain. I grabbed my bike and pedaled furiously toward Theo's house, the wind whipping against my face, a futile attempt to clear my head.

Each rotation of the pedals felt like a countdown, each gust of wind a reminder that time was slipping away. When I reached his door, I knocked urgently. He opened it almost immediately, his expression a mix of relief and worry, dark circles under his eyes revealing sleepless nights.

"Are you ready?" I asked, and he nodded, but something in his gaze made my stomach twist.

It was the look of someone grappling with their own demons, their own fears threatening to spill over. Together, we headed to the police station, where officers were coordinating a search effort. The tension was palpable; the air thick with unspoken fear.

I glanced around at the faces of the officers, some frowning over maps, others on phones, their voices low and urgent.

After a brief discussion, we learned a group was gathering at the waterfall, scouring the area for any signs of him.

A chill ran down my spine at the thought of everyone searching, desperate to find answers, but I sensed an undercurrent of something sinister—a trap waiting to ensnare us all.

"Let's go," Theo urged, determination flickering in his eyes, but his unease mirrored mine.

When we arrived at the waterfall, the serene beauty of the scene felt at odds with the growing dread that clung to me. The sound of cascading water, usually a source of calm, now felt like a cruel reminder of the turmoil beneath the surface.

Officers and volunteers were moving about, searching the banks and combing through the brush, their shouts echoing against the rocks.

I felt a nagging sensation that we were being watched, that unseen eyes were tracking our every move.The area was alive with chaos, but I couldn't shake the feeling of isolation.

My mind drifted to the whispers of the past few days—the murmurs of the town, the rumors, the faces that wore concern but held back secrets. With everyone preoccupied, I felt a pull toward the woods nearby, an instinct that urged me to discover what lay hidden beneath the surface.

As I stepped into the dense foliage, the air thickened, an unsettling silence enveloping me. Each step felt heavier, as if the ground beneath me was sinking into a void of uncertainty.

Then my gaze landed on a piece of paper stuck to a tree, fluttering slightly in the breeze. My heart began to race, a mixture of dread and curiosity swirling within me.