Part 13 - Safe Havens

As we stepped inside, the air was tinged with the coolness of dusk, I glanced at Eric, his profile illuminated by the fading light, and felt a rush of gratitude for his presence.

"Where do we start?" I asked, breaking the silence that had settled between us. 

"First, let's gather some information about Tristan," Eric suggested, his tone shifting to a more serious note. "Do you have anyone you can reach out to—friends or family who might know something?"

I nodded slowly, recalling the tight-knit circle of friends we used to share. "I can try reaching out to Mia, his sister. She's probably worried sick."

"Good idea," Eric said, his expression earnest. "Let's head back inside. You can use my phone if you need to."

As we walked back, I felt a surge of determination mixed with apprehension. The closer we got to the house, the more real the situation felt. Eric held the door open for me, and I stepped inside, taking a deep breath to steady myself.

"Let's find a quiet spot," I suggested, leading the way to a cozy nook by the fireplace. The warmth from the crackling flames offered some comfort, but the heaviness in my chest remained.

I took a seat on one of the plush couches, pulling out Eric's phone while he hovered nearby, his presence a steady anchor. My fingers trembled slightly as I dialed Mia's number, the sound of the ringing filling the space between us.

"Come on, pick up," I whispered to myself, willing her to answer. Just as doubt began to creep in, the line clicked, and Mia's voice came through, laced with concern.

"Daisy? Is that you?" she asked, relief washing over her tone.

"Mia, hey! I'm so sorry to bother you," I started, my heart racing. "I just wanted to check in. Have you heard anything about Tristan?"

There was a pause on the other end, and I could practically hear her thoughts racing. "No, I haven't," she replied, her voice shaky. "It's like he just vanished. I don't understand why no one has seen him."

"I feel the same way. I'm worried sick," I admitted, my throat tightening. 

"But I need to know what happened. Is there anyone who might have seen him last? 

"Maybe... I can ask around," Mia said slowly. "But I just don't know if that'll help. He was acting strange the last time I saw him."

"What do you mean?" I pressed, my curiosity piqued.

"Just... distant, you know? Like he was hiding something," she replied, and I felt a chill run down my spine. 

"I'll let you know if I find out anything, okay?"

 After saying goodbye, I hung up and looked at Eric, who had been quietly listening.