Short Story: Knocks On Our Door

A/N: Please note that the following story includes sensitive topics such as violence, gore, and disturbing scenes. These topics can be disturbing and triggering for some readers. Therefore, if you are experiencing any emotional disturbance, I strongly advise you to not continue reading. Reader discretion is strongly advised.

Knocks on doors have always been associated with superstitions and myths, often tied to death or otherworldly spirits trying to communicate with the living. In some cultures, knocking on surfaces such as wood is seen as a way to break curses. But for millennials, the first thought that comes to mind may be the popular movie where opening the door after repeated knocks leads to being greeted by two beautiful women.

*****

My brother and I began our new life in a quaint suburban town, nestled between the bustling city center and the peaceful countryside. I was still in my final year of college at the time, eagerly anticipating graduation. Meanwhile, my brother worked graveyard shifts at his first job, leaving me alone in our small apartment during the late hours of the night. The city lights flickered outside our windows as I sat in solitude, surrounded by the quiet hum of the suburban neighborhood.

Our parents lived in a rural area, far from the hustle and bustle of the city. As they entered their later years, they craved a peaceful and quiet life. Meanwhile, my siblings and I moved to the capital to pursue our education and careers, choosing to embrace the fast-paced and luxurious lifestyle of the city in our youth.

One typical night, I decided to listen to the radio while studying. I usually enjoy listening to horror stories on YouTube while studying, but this time I wanted to try a different platform. I guess I'm a bit weird, because while most people enjoy listening to music or podcasts while doing something, I prefer to listen to strange things like horror and true crime when I want to focus on studying.

One of my classmates mentioned a radio station that shares horror stories on Thursdays at 8 pm. It piqued my interest, and I became curious about how they handle such a program. So, I turned on the radio, found the station ID, and waited for the DJ to announce a horror story to the listeners.

I organized my study materials and laid out my books. As I reviewed my notes, the DJ took a moment to thank his devoted fans and read some messages from their social media page. He mentioned that for tonight's show, he would be sharing an urban legend about mysterious knocks on doors.

He playfully mentioned that he wanted to share this legend because he had just finished watching one of his favorite movies starring his idol, Keanu Reeves. The movie was called Knock Knock.

A small laugh escapes my lips as I recall watching that movie during my first year. It was utterly ridiculous yet exhilarating. I couldn't help but admire Anna de Armas's beauty while watching it.

"To begin our frightening tale tonight, we will explore a Philippine legend known as "Kumakatok" or Door Knockers."

I pressed the volume button on my radio to increase the sound, but I made sure it wasn't too loud to disturb my neighbors. Since I live in an apartment building, even small noises can be heard. I don't want to inconvenience others, especially since I'm still getting to know my neighbors – my brother and I moved in just a month ago.

"So according to folklore, door knockers were a group of robed figures, usually three, believed to knock on your door in the middle of the night to bring bad omens," he continued. "However, some argue that their purpose is not limited to warnings or omens; many believe that a visit from the door knockers is a clear indication of impending death."

The DJ narrated it conversationally, unlike the typical formal style heard on podcasts and YouTube videos. "Allegedly, they appear to be regular individuals, with their behavior mirroring our own. The only difference is that they wear black hoods or cloaks that cover half of their faces. One of them resembles a young woman, while the other two are middle-aged men, one of whom is old and wrinkled."