Chapter 3: How much?

Erika was watching a soccer match on TV with her youngest brother Zion. Today is Saturday so she doesn't have school and since Luca is still injured from the last game they decided not to play for today after all, the midterms just ended. They're watching quietly while munching popcorn when one player passes the ball to his teammate and does a scorpion kick. Erika just whistled and Zion watched in amazement.

"That guy moves on instinct." she said as they continued to watch.

"Big sis! Big sis!"

"Hmm?" she just hummed.

"Can you do that?" Zion asked her with sparkles in his eyes.

"I don't know" she said to him.

Zion aww in disappointment at her answer not expecting her to say that.

Erika looked at him and smirked.

"But I can always try~"

Zion's disappointment quickly vanished and he stood up from his position excitedly, clearly wanting to see her sister imitate the move he just saw on the TV.

"Let's do it!' He exclaimed.

"Later, I'm still watching"

"Ok" he said and sat down again.

They continued watching while talking about the different moves and skills the players used during the game when they heard the door open. They saw their mother's tired figure who just come home from a night shift at the factory she was working at. Erika stood up from her seat as Zion happily ran to their mother.

"Mommy! Welcome home" he said and kissed their mother on her left cheek.

Mia just smiled. Seeing her children after a long shift lessens her fatigue because she knows that what she is doing is for the better future of her beloved children.

"You should clean up and rest in your room, Mom." She said after kissing her mother on the cheek and taking her bag.

"And I'll just call you for lunch later" Erika said while softly smiling at Mother.

She doesn't like seeing her mother in this state but she knows that she can't stop her from working since her father can't provide for them like he used to after the incident 2 years ago her Mother is now the breadwinner of their family. Her father didn't want her mother to work but he couldn't do anything about it, because they either die of hunger or let her mother work at the factory which was offered by his former boss after the accident.

"Thank you Erika," Mia said while smiling at her only daughter.

"Sorry for burdening you with housework" she added in a sad tone.

"No need to feel sorry Mommy. This is my duty after all" she said and looked at her younger brother who's still clinging to their tired Mother.