𝒫𝒶𝓇𝓉 ℯ𝒾𝓰𝒽𝓉 ✫

Please consider voting :)

Giyuu's POV

Kocho must have taken the poison today... God damn it, why can't I muster up the courage to ask her to stop? I know it won't work. I know I can't save her, and I won't be able to save anyone, but still, I can't just let her die again. This already happened once. Shinobu will die if I don't do anything. I have to at least try to protect them, right? Why... why am I such a coward? Why am I cowering at the thought of even trying? She will die. I know the pain that Tsuyuri and Kanzaki went through after her death. I know the pain that Tanjiro went through. And I know the pain that I went through... Why am I so selfish? Kocho has her own wishes, her own ideals... so why am I trying so hard to walk her down the path I forged? Oh, right... I made the same mistake of losing my sister. But we both approached it differently. I had a frown, while inside I had a small smile. Kocho had a smile on the outside, but she was angry and sad on the inside.

But who may have caused such pain to Kocho? Oh yeah... it was me. I failed to arrive on time. I failed to save both Kocho sisters. I failed to save one from the pitless despair of losing a loved one, while the other felt the pain of death. While I cowered, others fell. While I feared, others wept. While I slept, others forever slept. While I'm here laying in this bed, countless people are dying because of demons. Should I go? Should I leave the mansion and go slay demons? I... I have to, right?

"Tomioka-san, may I come in?"

It was Kocho.

"Yeah," I answered.

"Tomioka-san, here's your ointment. Make sure to apply a thin layer twice every day, and take these tablets after breakfast and dinner."

"Okay, thanks, Kocho."

"And, Tomioka-san, please try not to be so forgetful."

"I'm sorry."

"No need to apologize, Tomioka-san. Every loner makes a mistake."

"Yeah..."

"Haha, did you just agree with an insult?"

"It's not an insult if it's true."

"Now, now, Tomioka-san, no need to be so sad. Try to cheer up sometimes. See? Smile, like me."

"Kocho..."

"Yeah?"

"Is your smile forced?"

"...No, Tomioka-san. Why would you think that?"

"It's just that... even though you seem cheerful, that cheerfulness feels incomplete. It's as if you're sulking while smiling."