[008] run

Once, when I was younger I fell from a tree. I remember the thumping of my heart and how breathless I was for the few short seconds as I was falling. That feeling was returning once more as I glanced around the arena nervously.

It was stone, rocks, and concrete covered all that I could see, large buildings all around the small clearing that held the cornucopia. 

60 seconds.

The cornucopia was smaller than most years, and rather than having the loot spread out it was all stacked together right in the middle. If I wasn't running straight in I would have to leave empty-handed.

50.

To my right the boy from 12 was hyperventilating, I couldn't hear but looking at him I could see the panic in his eyes and his heaving chest. I wasn't surprised when he fell off his platform and a large boom surrounded us. Perhaps he did it on purpose, it didn't matter to me.

40.

I found myself desperately searching for my alliance. Luckily Blossom was right next to me already eyeing the west. The opposite direction to the sun.

30.

Bentley was 5 tributes away on my right side, staring intently at the cornucopia.

20.

My chest heaved and I felt my cherry necklace bouncing up and down from my intense breaths. I was meant to be on the cherry farms right now.

10.

No. I can't think of home not when-

5.

Focus. I need to focus.

4.

Breathe deep.

3.

I crave a familiar scent, but only dust.

2.

Am I ready? I don't have a choice.

1.

Run.

The loud bang fills the arena as me and the other tributes set off running. Some away from the copper cornucopia but not me- no, I run towards it.

Setting off the second I hear the gong I have no time to think about where I'm running, what might happen. I can only hope for the best as my feet travel as fast as possible, the thudding echoing in my ears as I near the cornucopia.

The Careers were there in a matter of seconds, crossing the 50-meter stretch and instantly grabbing their weapons. I wasn't far behind them, almost losing my pacing as I ran with such adrenaline, it was only when I realized I was heading straight for the girl from 2 that I ducked, avoiding the sharp dagger that was heading for my head. I knew this girl from training Antionette, she was deadly sure but not accurate and not quick.

As I got low to the ground I grabbed a stray sword, staying low as I swiped at the girl's feet, meeting her calf as she screamed, falling to the floor and clutching the bloody limb.

I hesitated for a second, dumb in hindsight but that second was clarification. I was feeling remorse, and guilt as I buried the sword into her chest and she fell silent my first-ever kill settling on me as I glanced around the bloodbath nervously.

I could already hear the screams of the many children surrounding me as I grabbed the closest familiar weapon, a spear, and charged forward, heading toward the rest of the loot and the other careers.

Bentley and Dell were already fighting, blood covering them whether it was their own or another person's I wasn't sure. Running towards Bentley's attacker I recognized the girl from 3, she was young -15-, why was she in the bloodbath?