Chapter 3: The Envelope of Secrets

The café door chimed softly as the mysterious woman pushed it open and walked out, the engine of her motorcycle already purring in the background, eager to roar back to life. Harry watched her with bated breath, every fiber of his being yearning to call out to her, to stop her from vanishing into the night once more. But his voice failed him, trapped in the whirlwind of emotions that had taken hold of his heart.

As she stepped onto the curb, her helmet now securely fastened, she glanced back toward the café—just for a second—almost as if she knew someone was watching. But then, without a word, she swung her leg over the bike, revved the engine, and took off down the street. Her departure was as sudden as her arrival, leaving behind a trail of unspoken words and unanswered questions.

Harry's hand hovered over the car door handle, his resolve wavering as the sound of her motorcycle grew fainter. He wanted to follow her, to chase her down, to demand answers to the flood of questions that had consumed him since the first moment he laid eyes on her. But once again, logic and reason held him back. He couldn't just follow a stranger—no matter how captivating she was—without knowing where she was going or what her intentions were.

But as his eyes drifted back to the café's entrance, something caught his attention. There, lying on the pavement where she had just stood, was a small white envelope. It had clearly fallen from her jacket pocket, unnoticed in her haste to leave.

Harry hesitated for only a moment before instinctively reaching for the envelope. Perhaps this was the break he had been waiting for, the clue that would lead him to the answers he so desperately sought. He bent down and picked it up, his fingers brushing against the coarse texture of the paper. There was no name, no address—just a simple, unmarked envelope.

His heart pounded in his chest as he carefully slid a finger under the flap and opened it. What he found inside was far from what he expected.

The first thing that caught his eye was a photograph—old, faded at the edges, but still clear enough to recognize. It was a picture of a young boy, no more than eight or nine years old, standing awkwardly in front of a school building, his expression solemn, his eyes holding a quiet, reserved look. Harry stared at the photo, trying to understand why this woman would have it.

His hands trembled slightly as he set the photo aside and pulled out the second one. This time, the image was much more recent. It showed a man in his late twenties, dressed in a sharp suit, his expression serious yet calm. He was sitting at a table, a glass of whiskey in front of him, lost in thought. The setting was unmistakable—Harry had seen it countless times before. It was Arnold's apartment, right down to the familiar painting that hung on the wall behind him.

Harry's confusion deepened as he stared at the second photo. The man in the picture was none other than Arnold, his closest friend and confidant. The two of them had been through everything together, from the early days of building McAllister Enterprises to the successes and failures that had shaped their lives. But how did this woman know Arnold? And why would she have a photo of him?

Nothing made sense. The two photos, one from his childhood and the other from his present, seemed to connect parts of his life that should have been unrelated. It was as if someone had been watching him, following him, and somehow knew things that even he had forgotten.

The questions swirled in Harry's mind, each one more unsettling than the last. Who was this woman? How did she know about his past? And what possible reason could she have for carrying these photos with her? The mystery only deepened with every passing moment, and Harry found himself on the edge of a revelation he wasn't sure he was ready to face.

As the reality of the situation sank in, Harry felt a cold shiver run down his spine. Was this some kind of warning? A threat? Or was it something more personal, something tied to the parts of his life he had long since buried? The uncertainty gnawed at him, making it impossible to think clearly.