Chapter 19: The Unveiling of truth

Isabella stood frozen, her mind whirling in a storm of confusion and shock. Viktor was standing before her, but something was different—off. The man she thought she knew was emanating an unfamiliar aura, something darker, something that didn't quite fit with the Viktor she had come to know. His presence was both comforting and unsettling, a paradox she couldn't quite reconcile. And then, without warning, he spoke, his voice carrying a weight that immediately demanded her attention.

"I've never talked about my past, Isabella," Viktor began, his tone calm yet charged with an underlying intensity that made her uneasy. "But I need to now. If I don't, it will be too late."

Isabella's breath caught in her throat. There was a finality in his words, an unspoken promise that whatever he was about to say would change everything. She wanted to interrupt, to ask questions, but something in his eyes told her to wait. To listen.

Viktor's hands moved slowly, deliberately, toward his face. Isabella watched, her heart pounding in her chest, as he began to remove the mask that had always hidden his true identity. It wasn't just a literal mask, but a figurative one, a shield that had protected him from the world—and from her—for far too long. As the mask came off, time seemed to slow. The seconds stretched into eternity, and the air between them grew thick with tension.

When Viktor finally lowered his hands, revealing his face, Isabella's world tilted on its axis. The face before her was one she recognized. It was a face from her past, one that had been burned into her memory from the day she had last seen it. The face of viktor—But here he was, not just as Harry, but as Viktor too.

Arnold, standing off to the side, was equally stunned. He had known harry for years, had trusted him, and had worked alongside him. But now, he was staring at a man he barely recognized—a man who had hidden his true identity from everyone, including him. The revelation was earth-shattering, and Arnold felt as though the ground beneath him was slipping away.

Viktor—or Harry, as he had now revealed himself to be—watched their reactions closely, his expression somber. "Yes," he said, his voice low and steady, "I am Harry. I am the boy you've been searching for, Isabella."

Isabella's legs threatened to give out beneath her. She stumbled back, her mind racing to catch up with the reality unfolding before her. "How... how can this be?" she whispered, her voice trembling with emotion.

Harry stepped forward, his gaze never leaving hers. "We were separated," he began, his tone heavy with the weight of the memories he was about to unearth. "When the police took us away that day, they sent us to different rehabilitation centers. I lost you, Isabella. I searched, but I could never find you again. The world we were thrown into was harsh, cruel. It taught me lessons I never wanted to learn, but had to in order to survive."

He paused, giving Isabella a moment to absorb his words. Her eyes were wide, filled with a mixture of fear, confusion, and a glimmer of hope. But the hope was fragile, delicate, as if one wrong word could shatter it completely.

"I made a decision back then," Harry continued, his voice firm with resolve. "I decided that if I was going to survive in this world, I had to adapt. I had to be stronger, smarter, and I had to create a persona that could shield me from the darkness around me. That's when I became Viktor."

Isabella's mind raced as she tried to piece everything together. Viktor—Harry—had created an entirely new identity, one that allowed him to navigate the dangerous world he had been thrust into. But why? And more importantly, why hadn't he told her sooner? The questions burned on her tongue, but she couldn't find the words to ask them.

Harry seemed to sense her turmoil and continued speaking, his tone softening slightly. "I built my empire, Isabella. I became the man I needed to be to survive, but in doing so, I had to let go of the boy I once was. I had to let go of Harry."