𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄

ATLAS GENUINELY HATED TRAINS. They were too fast, too many people, and they also were similar to buses. They'd already spent two days on the godforsaken Amtrak train, heading west through hills, over rivers, past amber waves of grain. Luckily, They weren't attacked once, but that didn't help Atlas relax. He knew that the lord of time now had his eyes on him. He knew he'd have to, but he couldn't look at his green eyed friend and even fathom the idea of killing him. It didn't help that said green eyed friend was a wanted criminal so that drew even more attention and uneasiness. He'd seen a newspaper one of the other passengers were reading called The Trenton Register-News and it showed a photo taken by a tourist as Percy had gotten off the Greyhound bus. 

He had a wild look in his eyes. Lucky for his image, his sword was a metallic blur in his hands. It might've been a baseball bat or a lacrosse stick. At least the world didn't think he was a sword swinging maniac, Yet. The picture's caption read:Twelve-year-old Percy Jackson, wanted for questioning in the Long Island disappearance of his mother two weeks ago, is shown here fleeing from the bus where he accosted several elderly female passengers. Atlas could already tell this story wasn't worth the paper it was printed on. The bus exploded on an east New Jersey roadside shortly after Jackson fled the scene. Based on eyewitness accounts, police believe the boy may be traveling with three teenage accomplices.His stepfather, Gabe Ugliano, has offered a cash reward for information leading to his capture."Don't worry," Annabeth told Percy. "Mortal police could never find us." But she didn't sound so sure. 

"They could find Atlas, No one looks like him." Percy muttered offhandedly "I'm taking that as a compliment to my uniqueness." Atlas said, The rest of the day Percy spent alternately pacing the length of the train or looking out the windows. Atlas had told him multiple times to sit down or else he'd kick him in the knees. Percy didn't believe him, until he actually did it of course. After that Percy relented and sat down next to Atlas resting his head on the boys shoulder. The two spotted a family of centaurs galloping across a wheat field, bows at the ready, as they hunted lunch. The little boy centaur, who was the size of a second-grader on a pony, caught their eye and waved. It made Atlas miss his father figure more than usual.

Nobody else had noticed the centaurs except for the two. The adult riders all had their faces buried in laptop computers or magazines.Another time, towards the evening, Percy saw something huge moving through the woods. He'd pointed it out to Atlas who's expression went almost fearful and quickly turned away. Percy could've sworn it was a lion, except that lions don't live wild in America, and this thing was the size of a Hummer. Its fur glinted gold in the evening light. Then it leaped through the trees and was gone. The reward money for returning Gladiola the poodle had only been enough to purchase tickets as far as Denver. The four couldn't get berths in the sleeper car, so they dozed in their seats. Grover kept snoring and bleating and waking Percy up. Percy spent a lot of the time sleeping and each time he awoke Atlas was up staring out the window as if if he'd glared hard enough the glass would shatter.

Once, Grover shuffled around and his fake foot fell off.  Annabeth and Percy had to stick it back on before any of the other passengers noticed."So," Annabeth asked Percy, once they'd gotten Grover's sneaker readjusted. "Who wants your help?". Atlas finally looked away from the window at her words, the sunlight reflecting in his eyes. "What do you mean?""When you were asleep just now, you mumbled, 'I won't help you.' Who were you dreaming about?" Atlas knew, He could tell Percy was reluctant to say anything. Atlas sent him an encouraging look and Percy relented and told the two everything, Annabeth was quiet for a long time. Atlas looked down, Kronos was now visiting Percy in his dreams? "That doesn't sound like Hades. He always appears on a black throne, and he never laughs.""He offered my mother in trade. Who else could do that?""I guess . . . if he meant, 'Help me rise from the Underworld.' If he wants war with the Olympians. But why ask you to bring him the master bolt if he already has it?" Percy shook his head.