The First Steps

Chapter 2: The First Steps....

The air was clear as Mira stepped away from the estuary, her boots sinking slightly into the damp earth. The distant cry of seabirds echoed over the water, and the wind carried the scent of salt and pine. It was quiet, but not in the way her room had been. This was a living quiet—filled with the subtle hum of nature, the rustling of leaves, and the distant rush of the tide. For the first time in a long while, Mira felt like she could breathe.

Greenwise, still perched on her shoulder, was silent for a moment, as if giving her time to adjust. "The Red Region is where all players begin," he said eventually, his voice soft but clear. "It is a place of grounding, of survival. Here, you will learn the basics—how to work with the land, how to read the seasons, and how to conserve your Energy."

Mira nodded, though she wasn't entirely sure what that meant yet. She glanced down at her arm, where the forked runes glowed faintly beneath her sleeve. Power and Energy. She still wasn't sure how to use them, but something told her she'd find out soon enough.

As they walked, Greenwise continued to speak, his tone more instructive now. "The seasons here are as important as the land itself. The time of year affects everything—the animals, the plants, even the weather. You'll need to learn to work with the seasons if you want to survive. Right now, it's late autumn. The animals are preparing for winter, and the plants are slowing down. Food will be harder to find, but there are still ways to sustain yourself."

Mira glanced around, taking in the landscape. The forest was dense with towering pines and firs, their needles carpeting the ground in a soft, fragrant layer. Here and there, she spotted patches of bright red berries clinging to low bushes, and the occasional mushroom poking up through the moss.

"How do I know what's safe to eat?" she asked, eyeing the berries warily.

Greenwise chuckled softly. "That's part of the learning process. But I can guide you. Those berries, for example—lingonberries. They're tart but edible. A good source of vitamins, especially as the colder months approach."

Mira crouched down, plucking a few of the berries and popping them into her mouth. They were sour, but not unpleasant. She could see a small surge of Energy as she swallowed, and the red rune on her arm glowed a little brighter.

"Good," Greenwise said approvingly. "But remember, you can't rely on berries alone. You'll need to find more substantial food soon—meat, fish, or nuts. The island provides, but only if you know how to look."

Mira stood up, brushing her hands off on her tunic. "So, what's my first task?"

Greenwise's green eyes gleamed. "Your first Progression in the Red Region is simple: learn to provide for yourself. Find food, conserve your Energy, and explore the land. But there's more to it than just survival. You must also begin to understand the island's rhythms—the way the seasons affect the creatures here, the way the land changes over time. Only then will you be ready to unlock your first Insight."

Mira frowned. "Insight? What's that?"

Greenwise fluffed his feathers. "Insights are the key to progressing through Fountellion. They are moments of understanding—about the island, about yourself, about the world. Each region has its own Insight, tied to the lessons you learn there. In the Red Region, the Insight is about survival and grounding—understanding your connection to the land and your place within it."

Mira nodded slowly, trying to absorb everything. It was a lot to take in, but something about it felt... right. Like this was what she'd been missing all along. A sense of purpose, of connection. She hadn't realized how disconnected she'd felt until now.

"Alright," she said, her voice more determined than before. "Let's do this."

---

As they ventured deeper into the forest, the landscape began to change. The trees grew taller and denser, their branches forming a thick canopy overhead. The ground beneath Mira's feet became softer, covered in a thick layer of moss and fallen leaves. The air was cooler here, and the light filtered through the trees in dappled patches.

Greenwise guided her to a small clearing near a stream, where the water bubbled over smooth stones. "This is a good place to set up camp for the night," he said. "You'll need to rest soon, and it's important to conserve your Energy."

Mira nodded, feeling a slight weariness creeping into her limbs. She hadn't realized how much walking they'd done, but now that she was standing still, she could feel the weight of it. The red rune on her arm had dimmed slightly, a reminder that her Energy was not infinite.

"How do I conserve Energy?" she asked, sitting down on a nearby rock.

"By working with the land, rather than against it," Greenwise replied. "For example, instead of hunting large game, which would require a lot of Energy, you can set traps for smaller animals or fish in the stream. You can also forage for plants and mushrooms, but be careful—some are poisonous."

Mira frowned. "And if I run out of Energy?"

Greenwise's eyes darkened slightly. "If your Energy runs too low, you'll become vulnerable. The Stokers are always watching, waiting for players who are too weak to defend themselves. If they catch you, they'll take you to the Spiral Tower, where your Power will be stolen."

Mira shivered at the thought. "Right. No running out of Energy, then."

She stood up, glancing around the clearing. "So, what now? How do I start?"

Greenwise hopped down from her shoulder, landing gracefully on the mossy ground. "First, you'll need to gather materials for a fire. It's getting colder, and a fire will help you conserve Energy by keeping you warm. Look for dry wood and kindling—pine needles, bark, anything that will catch easily."

Mira nodded, scanning the area for anything that fit the description. She found a few fallen branches and some dry pine needles, gathering them into a small pile near the stream. Greenwise watched her work, offering occasional advice but mostly letting her figure things out on her own.

Once the fire was lit, Mira felt a small sense of accomplishment. It wasn't much, but it was a start. She sat down by the fire, rubbing her avatar hands together to warm them, because they weren't moving fluidly, as they normally did.

"What's next?" she asked, glancing at Greenwise.

"Next, you'll need to find food," he replied. "The stream is a good place to start. There are fish here, if you know how to catch them."

Mira stood up, moving to the edge of the stream. The water was clear, and she could see small fish darting between the rocks. She crouched down, watching them for a moment, trying to figure out the best way to catch one.

Greenwise hopped onto a nearby rock, watching her with a keen eye. "You can use your hands, but it will take patience. The fish are quick, and you'll need to be quicker."

Mira nodded, focusing on the water. She waited, her hands poised just above the surface, watching for the right moment. When a fish swam close, she lunged, her fingers closing around it. It slipped out of her grasp, but she didn't give up. She tried again, and again, until finally, she managed to catch one.

She held it up triumphantly, grinning at Greenwise. "Got it!"

Greenwise nodded approvingly. "Well done. Now, cook it over the fire, and you'll have your first real meal in Fountellion."

As Mira cooked the fish, she felt a strange sense of satisfaction. It wasn't just about the food—it was about the process. She'd done something real, something tangible. And for the first time in a long time, she felt connected to the world around her.

As she ate her avatar's Energy fork glowed and Greenwise spoke again. "You're making progress, Mira. But remember, this is just the beginning. The island has much more to teach you, and the challenges will only grow more difficult. But if you stay grounded, if you learn to work with the land, you will find your way."

Mira nodded, feeling a warmth in her chest that had nothing to do with the fire. She wasn't sure where this journey would take her, but for the first time, she felt ready to face it.

---