Chapter One

"FREE MIND"
AUBRË

"Alright, I'll see you all at graduation. Congratulations, you are one step closer to obtaining your degree. Treat yourself."

My professor was right. I was one step closer to walking across the stage with my Masters in Alternative Medicine.

At 21, I was considered a young graduate student, but it was all the discipline I held in high school that allowed me to speed past undergrad, and enter grad school at 19. Now 3 years later, I'm about to earn a master's degree and I couldn't be prouder.

After I get my degree, I'm taking a gap year before going back to school for my PhD in Naturopathic medicine. But meanwhile, I want to open up my own Yoga and women's health center: EARTH. Along with a herbal remedy brand with it.

An incoming call from LuAnne, my cousin, takes my attention away from my professor's farewells. I use this as an excuse to leave class early and answer the call once I'm outside.

"Yea?"

"BreBreee, I hope you're not still mad at me cause I want us to have a cousin date tonight."

I feel like if you know a person may still be mad at you for something you did, then why can't you admit that you wrong.

She groans knowingly, "Ugh, bitch! I thought somebody had kidnapped your ass. Da fuck' was I supposed to do."

"Not call Paulette!"

"Auntie Lottie was the only person I could think of. She's the smartest person I know next to you." Now she was trying to deflect and butter me up. She wasn't slick

"Girl boo." I unlocked my car, and placed my bags inside first before getting in myself. "As long as it's in the house."

"Who house?"

I roll my eyes, "Whatever." I shrug, "Im just saying, I don't feel like going out."

"Im starting to think yo' ass was probably kidnapped for real, it's like you allergic to outside now. We young and turnt!"

Even though she got on my nerves, LuLu was comedy. "Bye." I ended the call before she could have a parade on my phone. She was more than capable.

Aside from being a grad student, and boring ass cousin, I enjoyed hobbies like gardening,
- both kinds, coloring, and reading. As an only child, I had to find ways to keep myself entertained. So the things I just considered hobbies, are actually more like rituals for me.

In retrospect, I'm glad I established said rituals early on, well except for the smoking weed, but still. Without these things, I don't know how I'd be able to navigate a new city alone. I had LuLu, but we'd just met 2 years ago when I moved here to Virginia.

We've gotten closer with time and she's definitely grown to be considered more a best friend than cousin, especially since we weren't raised together. Nonetheless, I needed friends.

That's why I'm on my way to a Black-owned bookstore/ cafe to meet up with a former classmate. We met officially at a Black Women's Health Summit, though. Her name is Bre too, but with an I. 

As soon as I walk in the smell of aroma therapy attacks my sense of smell. Black art was settled every where I turned and looked. And most importantly the shelves were stacked with works of art from the talents of the Black Diaspora.