14.Whispers of the Past

As the sound of running water filled the bathroom, I flopped onto Yaron's bed and rolled over, pressing the back of my hand against my burning cheeks.

  I thought I had an inkling of what had just happened.

  But Yaron was tall and athletic, his body lean and muscular.

  He had a high nose bridge, a sharp jawline, and long, strong fingers.

  He didn't seem like the type of guy who... well, you know...

  Could it be that he'd never had a girlfriend before?

  Had he never even been intimate with a girl?

  The thought filled me with a bubbly, sweet feeling.

  As I snuggled into Yaron's pillow, my fingers brushed against something underneath.

  It was a pearl earring. I recognized it instantly. It was one of my favorite pairs.

  I had lost one of them when I visited Shawn's dorm once, and I could never find it.

  So Yaron had picked it up.

  Then, I remembered. In those recurring dreams, Yaron had always kept this earring with him.

  Lost in thought, I carefully placed the earring back under his pillow.

  The whirring of the hairdryer stopped.

  Yaron emerged from the bathroom wearing a set of navy blue pajamas.

  His skin, still damp from the shower, had a luminous, almost translucent quality.

  His hair fell softly around his face, softening his usual sharp, aloof features.