A crown unchosen

The weight of the day hung heavy as Britt took a seat beside Hathor and Yugi. She couldn't shake the thoughts running through her mind—thoughts of Atem, his affectionate words, and the title he kept bestowing on her: his Queen. It felt overwhelming, and yet, part of her found a sense of belonging in it.

"So, what exactly happened today?" Hathor asked, her curiosity evident. Britt could see the concern behind her cousin's eyes, a look she had grown familiar with.

Britt took a deep breath before she began to explain. "Atem showed me more of the world that I barely knew existed—places and people that only beings like us can access. He talked about chi, how we need it to sustain our powers. It feels like I'm finally getting some understanding of all this, but it's a lot to take in."

Hathor nodded knowingly. "Chi reserves are vital. It's good that Atem is showing you the ropes. And you seem... different. Lighter, maybe?" she teased gently.

Britt managed a smile, but her brow furrowed slightly. "I feel like I'm learning more about who I am, but also... who he expects me to be."

Yugi leaned in, his gaze soft. "Atem expects a lot of himself as well. He's carried a responsibility that weighs heavily on him. If he's chosen you as his Queen, it means he sees something incredibly powerful and worthy in you, Britt."

The word "Queen" sent another ripple through her heart. She looked down, her voice barely a whisper. "But I never asked for this. I never thought I'd be drawn into something like this. And now, there's this... bond between us that I don't fully understand."

"You don't have to have it all figured out right now," Hathor said, her hand resting gently on Britt's shoulder. "Take it one step at a time. You've already come so far."

"Yeah, and you're not alone," Yugi added. "Whether Atem sees you as his Queen or not, you always have a choice. And you've got us, no matter what."

The warmth of Yugi's words made Britt smile. She looked at Hathor and then at Yugi—both of them there, with her, supporting her. "Thank you. It means everything to have you two by my side."

A knock on the door broke their moment, and Hathor rose to answer it. Britt's heart skipped when she saw Atem standing there, his expression calm but his eyes revealing a flicker of emotion that she could now recognize as longing.

"I hope I'm not interrupting," Atem said, his gaze settling on Britt.

"No, not at all," Hathor said, stepping aside to let him in. "We were just catching up."

Atem stepped closer to Britt, and the intensity in his eyes made her pulse quicken. "Britt, can we talk? Just the two of us?"

She hesitated for a moment before nodding, standing up. Hathor and Yugi exchanged glances, then quietly excused themselves to give them privacy. Once they were gone, Atem turned to Britt, his gaze never wavering.

"I need to explain why I called you my Queen," he began. "It's not just a term of endearment. It's a title. A role."

Britt swallowed hard, her eyes searching his. "But I'm not ready for that. I don't even fully understand what it means."

Atem stepped closer, his voice dropping to a gentle tone. "You will, in time. It's not something I want to force on you, Britt. You're free to make your own choices, and I'll respect them. But know this—my world, our world, needs someone like you. Someone with the power, the grace, and the heart of a Queen."

Britt felt the weight of his words settle over her, and she looked away, her mind reeling. "I just... I don't know if I'm the person you think I am."

Atem reached out, his fingers brushing her chin, lifting her gaze back to his. "You are more than you realize, Britt. And whatever you decide, I'll be here. I promise."

His touch was gentle, his eyes sincere, and for a moment, Britt felt a sense of calm amidst the storm of uncertainty within her. She nodded slowly, her voice steadying. "Okay. I'll try. But I need time, Atem."

"Take all the time you need," he said softly, his thumb brushing her cheek.

Britt leaned into his touch for a heartbeat before stepping back, giving herself space. "Thank you. I appreciate that."

Atem smiled, a warmth in his eyes that made her heart flutter. "Always."

As he turned to leave, Britt spoke up, her voice stopping him. "Atem, I just want you to know... I don't hate the idea of being your Queen. It's just... overwhelming."

He nodded, his smile widening slightly. "I understand. And I'm willing to wait."

With that, he left, closing the door behind him, leaving Britt alone with her thoughts. She let out a breath she hadn't realized she was holding, her emotions swirling. The journey ahead seemed uncertain, but as long as she had Hathor, Yugi, and perhaps even Atem by her side, she felt like maybe—just maybe—she could face whatever came next.

Britt stood there for a while after Atem left, the silence of the room engulfing her. The intensity of his words lingered, and she felt the pull between her heart and the unknown future before her. She finally sank back onto the couch, wrapping her arms around herself, as if trying to keep the enormity of everything from spilling over.

A soft knock on the door broke her reverie. Hathor peeked in, her eyes full of gentle concern. "Can I come in?" she asked softly.

Britt nodded, managing a small smile. "Of course."

Hathor stepped inside and took a seat beside her cousin. For a moment, she simply sat there in silence, her presence offering the comfort Britt needed.

"Did you and Atem have a good talk?" Hathor asked gently.

Britt sighed, her gaze distant. "Yeah, we did. He explained why he keeps calling me his Queen. It's... it's more than just a term. It's something real. Something he thinks I can be."

"And what do you think?" Hathor asked, her eyes searching Britt's face.

Britt shook her head, her voice a mixture of wonder and fear. "I don't know, Hathor. I never thought I'd be anything like that. I never wanted to be anything like that. But now... part of me wonders if I could be. If I should be."

Hathor took Britt's hand in hers, giving it a reassuring squeeze. "You don't have to decide right now, Britt. You've got time. And you've got us, no matter what you choose."

Britt looked at her cousin, her eyes softening. "Thank you. It means everything that you're here with me."

Hathor smiled. "Always, Britt. You're family. And no matter what this world throws at us, we'll face it together."

Britt felt the warmth of Hathor's words settle over her, and for the first time in what felt like forever, she felt a small spark of hope. She didn't know what her future held, or if she was truly meant to wear the crown Atem spoke of. But for now, she was content to take things one day at a time, surrounded by those who loved her.

"Let's get some sleep," Hathor said, standing up and offering Britt her hand. "Tomorrow is a new day, and we'll face whatever comes, together."

Britt took her cousin's hand, standing up and feeling a sense of calm wash over her. "Together," she repeated, and for the first time in a long while, she felt ready to see what the next day would bring.

4o

ChatGPT can make mistakes. Check important info.