Confrontation

Confrontation

The next day at the festival, Autumn found herself unable to shake the weight of her confession from the previous night. The vibrant atmosphere around her felt dull as she replayed Gion's expression in her mind. Did he even feel the same way? Or had she ruined everything by admitting her feelings?

As the sun rose higher in the sky, casting a warm glow over the academy, she caught sight of Gina. The princess's friend, Ciel, was animatedly discussing fashion trends with a group of students nearby. Autumn could hear snippets of laughter and playful banter, but her heart wasn't in it.

Gina approached, her face lighting up with enthusiasm. "Autumn! Have you seen the decorations for the festival? They're incredible!"

"Yes, they look great," Autumn replied, forcing a smile.

Gina frowned slightly, sensing Autumn's unease. "Are you okay? You seem a bit off."

"I'm fine," Autumn insisted, though the words felt hollow.

"Listen, I can tell something's bothering you. Is it about Gion?" Gina asked, her tone turning serious.

Autumn hesitated, unsure of how much to reveal. "I... I confessed my feelings to him, but now I'm not sure how he feels."

Gina raised an eyebrow, her interest piqued. "You told him how you feel? That's brave! But if he hasn't responded yet, it could mean he's just processing it."

"Or he doesn't feel the same way," Autumn murmured, her insecurities creeping back in.

"Autumn, you have to be honest with yourself. Do you really think Gion would let a girl like you slip away so easily?" Gina challenged, her eyes filled with encouragement.

"Maybe," Autumn said, her heart aching at the thought.

Just then, Gion approached them, his expression neutral but his eyes betraying a flicker of something deeper. Autumn's stomach flipped as she caught his gaze.

"Gina," Gion greeted, nodding slightly, before turning to Autumn. "Can we talk?"

Autumn's breath caught in her throat. Here it comes. She exchanged a glance with Gina, who offered her a reassuring smile before stepping back, sensing the tension.

"Sure," Autumn replied, trying to sound casual.

They moved to a quieter area of the festival, away from the lively crowd. The sounds of laughter and music faded into the background as they stood facing each other, the weight of unspoken words hanging in the air.

"About what you said yesterday..." Gion started, his voice steady yet uncertain.

Autumn's heart raced. "I didn't mean to put you on the spot. I just—"

"No, listen," he interrupted, running a hand through his hair in frustration. "I've been thinking about it, and I want you to know that I didn't respond because I was caught off guard. I didn't expect you to say that."

Autumn's stomach fluttered with both anxiety and hope. "So, what do you think?"

Gion sighed, his expression softening. "I've been trying to figure out my feelings. You're... different from what I expected. You're strong, passionate, and I admire that."

Her heart soared at his words, but the uncertainty still lingered. "But?"

"But," he continued, "there's also a part of me that worries. I don't want to get hurt again, and I don't want to hurt you either."

Autumn felt a pang of sympathy for him. "I understand that. I have my own fears too. My phobia makes everything more complicated."

"I know," Gion said, his eyes searching hers. "But I also want to try. I want to see where this goes, if you do."

A smile broke through Autumn's anxiety, hope blossoming in her chest. "I want that too."

Just then, they heard a commotion behind them. Gina was trying to mediate a disagreement between two students over a game booth. Gion chuckled, shaking his head. "Looks like the festival isn't without its drama."

"Typical," Autumn replied, feeling lighter.

As they walked back to join the festivities, a sense of understanding began to bridge the gap that had formed between them. The festival continued around them, vibrant and chaotic, but in that moment, it felt like they were finally moving in sync, ready to embrace whatever came next.