Festival Tensions

As the festival progressed, Autumn felt a mix of excitement and anxiety. The decorations she and Gion had worked so hard on were finally coming to life, and the atmosphere buzzed with energy. But underneath the cheerful facade, tensions simmered, particularly between Gion and Alexis.

Gion couldn't shake the feeling of unease as he watched Alexis and Autumn laughing together while preparing for their next event. The jealousy he had initially felt had transformed into something more potent—possessiveness. He had made a choice to embrace his feelings for Autumn, but watching her with Alexis stirred a protective instinct deep within him.

"Gion, are you okay?" Gina asked, stepping beside him as he leaned against a nearby wall, watching the scene unfold. "You've been awfully quiet."

"I'm fine," he snapped, though the tension in his voice gave him away.

Gina raised an eyebrow. "You're not fine. You look like you've just bitten into a lemon. Is it because of Alexis?"

Gion sighed, running a hand through his hair. "I don't like how close they're getting. I mean, I know she's my partner in this festival, but I can't help but feel..."

"Jealous?" Gina finished for him, her tone teasing yet knowing. "It's natural, especially since you care about her. Have you told her how you feel?"

"Not yet," he replied, frustration creeping into his voice. "I thought I could give her space to figure things out, but it's hard when she's laughing with him."

"Maybe you should join them," Gina suggested. "Show her you're not threatened. Confidence can go a long way."

Gion considered her words, but the thought of approaching Autumn while she was with Alexis made his heart race for all the wrong reasons. He needed to step in, to show Autumn that he could be the one she turned to.

Taking a deep breath, he straightened up and walked toward where Autumn and Alexis were. As he approached, he could hear them discussing the final preparations for their booth.

"Are you sure we have enough prizes?" Alexis asked, his charming smile directed at Autumn.

Autumn nodded, her eyes sparkling with enthusiasm. "Definitely! And I think we should add some special prizes for the top winners. Maybe a meet-and-greet with some of the student council members?"

Gion felt a pang of jealousy at the way Alexis's laughter made Autumn light up. He couldn't take it anymore. "Autumn!" he called, his voice firm yet steady.

She turned, her expression shifting from surprise to delight. "Gion! I was just—"

"Can I talk to you for a second?" he interrupted, trying to keep his tone neutral.

"Sure!" Autumn said, glancing back at Alexis. "I'll be right back."

Gion led her a few steps away, their friends' voices fading into the background. "What's up?" Autumn asked, curiosity shining in her eyes.

"Look," he started, trying to choose his words carefully. "I know you're having a great time with Alexis, but I want you to know that I'm still here, and I want to be involved too."

Autumn blinked, her expression softening. "Gion, you don't have to worry about Alexis. He's just being friendly. It's not like that."

"I know," he replied, feeling the tension in his chest ease slightly. "But I want you to know that I'm serious about us. I'm not going to let jealousy get in the way, but I also need you to understand that I care."

"Gion..." Autumn began, her voice laced with surprise.

Before she could finish, they were interrupted by a loud cheer from the festival crowd. Autumn glanced over her shoulder, seeing students rushing toward the game booth they had set up. "It looks like things are getting busy. Let's make the most of it!"

As they returned to the festival, Gion felt a surge of determination. He would make his feelings clear, not just in words but through actions. He wouldn't let misunderstandings drive a wedge between them again.

They joined their friends, ready to dive back into the fun of the festival, but as the day wore on, the competition between Gion and Alexis began to heat up. It was clear that the rivalry wasn't just for Autumn's attention; it was about proving who could be the better partner.

With each passing moment, Gion felt the stakes rising. He needed to step up, to show Autumn that he could be everything she needed—and more.