Night 8: Doubts and Divergence

The sun was setting, casting a warm glow over the city, but inside Mew's apartment, the mood was far from serene. Tul sat on the edge of the bed, tying his shoes, his expression tight, while Mew leaned against the doorframe, watching him with a mix of frustration and confusion.

The warmth they had shared over the past few weeks had begun to fade, replaced by a creeping tension neither of them could fully explain. Every time they came close, every time they kissed, every time they found themselves tangled in each other's arms, the weight of their unresolved feelings seemed to grow heavier.

"Are you leaving already?" Mew asked, trying to keep his voice neutral but failing to hide the disappointment.

Tul sighed, running a hand through his hair as he stood up. "I have an early meeting tomorrow," he said, though his tone lacked the usual lightness he used to cover up his true feelings.

Mew didn't buy the excuse. They had both been avoiding the hard conversations for too long, filling the silence between them with physical intimacy but never addressing the growing distance when they were apart.

"Is it really the meeting?" Mew asked, stepping closer to Tul, his arms crossed over his chest. "Or is something else going on?"

Tul turned to face him, his eyes clouded with something Mew couldn't quite place—guilt, frustration, fear. "Mew, we said we'd take it slow. But it feels like we're moving in circles."

Mew's heart clenched at Tul's words. He had felt it too—the uncertainty, the doubt—but hearing it aloud felt like a punch to the gut. "What are you saying?" he asked, his voice quieter now.

Tul hesitated, his hands flexing at his sides as if he didn't know what to do with them. "I don't know," he said finally, his voice softening. "I just... I don't know what this is anymore. I thought I did, but—"

Mew cut him off, his frustration spilling over. "But what? You don't think this is real? After everything we've shared, you're questioning whether it means anything?"

Tul's face fell, and Mew immediately regretted his words. He could see the struggle in Tul's eyes, the conflict between wanting to stay close and fearing what that closeness meant.

"It's not that," Tul said, shaking his head. "I know this is real. That's the problem."

Mew took a step back, his arms dropping to his sides. "The problem is that it's real?"

Tul's eyes softened with a mix of regret and longing. "I'm scared, Mew. I'm scared that we're just using each other to get over our exes. That we're not thinking this through."

Mew's heart twisted. He had feared the same thing—that they were rushing into something neither of them was ready for. But that didn't make the feelings he had for Tul any less real.

"So what?" Mew said, his voice rising with a mix of hurt and frustration. "Are you saying you want to stop? That we should walk away now, before we get hurt?"

Tul hesitated, his gaze dropping to the floor. "I don't want to hurt you, Mew. And I don't want to hurt myself either."

The room was heavy with the weight of unspoken emotions, the air between them thick with tension. Mew could feel the distance growing between them, and he hated it—hated that they had gone from something so intimate, so raw, to this fragile space where neither of them knew how to move forward.

"I don't want to lose you," Mew said softly, his voice almost pleading. "But I can't do this if you're always pulling away."

Tul's eyes flickered with something—maybe guilt, maybe fear. "I don't want to pull away, Mew. I just... I need time."

Mew nodded, though his heart ached. "Take the time you need," he said quietly, though the words felt heavy in his mouth. "But don't expect me to wait forever."

Tul's jaw clenched, and for a moment, it seemed like he might say something—something to bridge the gap between them. But instead, he gave Mew a small, tight smile and nodded. "I'll see you later, okay?"

Mew watched as Tul left, the door closing softly behind him. The moment he was gone, the apartment felt unbearably empty, as if the energy of their connection had been sucked out along with him.

Mew sank onto the couch, running his hands through his hair in frustration. The physical connection between them had been undeniable, the chemistry electric, but it wasn't enough to keep them from drifting apart.

As the night wore on, Mew found himself replaying their last few weeks together in his mind. Every kiss, every touch, every time they made love—it had all felt so perfect in the moment. But afterward, the doubts always crept in, the fear that they were rushing into something without fully understanding what it meant.

The next day, Mew tried to focus on work, but his thoughts kept drifting back to Tul. The unanswered questions weighed on him: Where did they go from here? Was Tul really just scared, or was this the beginning of the end?

By the time the sun began to set again, Mew found himself walking toward Tul's apartment. He couldn't let things hang in the air like this—not when so much had already been left unsaid. He needed answers, even if they weren't the ones he wanted to hear.

When Tul opened the door, he looked surprised to see Mew standing there, but he stepped aside to let him in without a word.

"We need to talk," Mew said, cutting straight to the point.

Tul sighed, rubbing the back of his neck. "Yeah, I figured."

They sat down on the couch, the silence between them heavy. Mew could feel his heart pounding in his chest, but he forced himself to stay calm, to say what he had come to say.

"I know we're both scared," Mew began, his voice steady. "But if we keep pulling back every time things get real, we're never going to figure this out."

Tul nodded, though his expression remained conflicted. "I know," he said quietly. "But I don't want us to fall into something without thinking about it. I don't want us to rush into something just because we're lonely or hurting."

Mew reached for Tul's hand, his fingers curling around his. "I'm not lonely, Tul. And I'm not just trying to fill a void. I care about you. More than I ever thought I would."

Tul's eyes flickered with something—hope, maybe. "I care about you too, Mew. But that's what makes this so hard. I don't want to mess it up."

Mew leaned in, his forehead resting against Tul's. "Then let's not mess it up. Let's stop being scared and just... try. Together."

Tul closed his eyes, taking a deep breath before nodding slowly. "Okay," he whispered, his voice barely audible. "Let's try."

The tension between them began to melt away as they sat there, holding each other close. It wasn't a perfect solution, and it didn't erase the doubts that lingered in the background. But for now, it was enough.

Tul pulled Mew closer, his lips brushing against his in a slow, tender kiss. Mew's heart swelled, his body relaxing into Tul's touch. This wasn't about rushing or filling a void—this was about connection, about trust, about taking a chance on something that could be real.

Their kiss deepened, the warmth of their bodies pressing together in a familiar rhythm. Mew could feel the tension slipping away, replaced by the undeniable desire that had always drawn them together. Tul's hands roamed over Mew's body, his touch gentle but firm, as if reminding him that they were still here, still together, still trying.

They moved in sync, their bodies responding to each other with an ease that came from knowing each other so intimately. Every touch, every kiss, every movement felt like a silent promise—a promise to stay, to try, to fight for whatever this was.

As they lay together afterward, wrapped up in each other's arms, the silence between them wasn't heavy with doubt or fear. It was filled with something softer, something hopeful.

For the first time in weeks, Mew felt like they were on the same page, like they were both ready to face whatever came next.

And maybe, just maybe, that would be enough to see them through.