Chapter 3: The Ball and the Art of Faking It

The days leading up to the ball blurred together in a whirlwind of preparations. Agatha and Lucian transformed my life into a montage worthy of a romantic comedy. There were fittings for dresses that felt like they belonged on a princess rather than a girl who once wore oversized sweatshirts and sneakers.

Each morning, I woke up in the opulent chambers of the Virelle estate, filled with more velvet and gold than I'd ever seen. I often found myself wandering the halls, catching glimpses of my reflection in ornate mirrors and marveling at the tapestries depicting some long-forgotten family history. It felt surreal, like I was living in a painting.

Agatha was relentless, guiding me through everything from etiquette lessons to proper dance moves. 

"You must float, dear. Not walk! Think of it as gliding on air," she insisted one afternoon as I stumbled over my own feet yet again.

"Gliding on air? More like tripping over clouds," I muttered, but I tried to channel my inner ballerina. I had to admit, she was making progress, even if it felt like I was mastering a completely foreign language.

Lucian, on the other hand, took his role as my strategy coach very seriously. "You need to approach this as a chess match," he told me during one of our strategy sessions. "Understand the dynamics of the room, identify key players, and seize your moment."

"Is there a queen's gambit in this scenario?" I joked, half-laughing and half-sweating at the thought of actually being the queen of anything.

"Absolutely! But no pressure. Just be yourself," he said with a wink. "Though, as Elowen, that's a very charming version of yourself."

The day of the ball arrived faster than I expected. As I stood in front of the mirror, the reflection staring back at me was almost unrecognizable. The gown was a rich shade of sapphire, adorned with delicate lace that hugged my figure in all the right places. My hair was pinned up in elegant curls, with a few loose tendrils framing my face. I felt like I was about to step into a fairy tale, albeit one with a slight undertone of chaos.

"Ready?" Agatha asked, her voice laced with excitement.

"Ready as I'll ever be," I replied, trying to inject some confidence into my words.

The carriage ride to the Valerion estate was a mix of nerves and anticipation. Lucian sat across from me, offering encouraging smiles, while Agatha fussed over my hair for what felt like the hundredth time.

As we approached the estate, I felt my heart race. The grand building loomed ahead, lit up like a beacon of opulence. 

Guests were already arriving, their laughter spilling into the evening air, mingling with the faint strains of music drifting from within.

"Remember, breathe," Lucian reminded me as we stepped out of the carriage.

"Breathe, float, and pretend I'm not terrified. Got it," I said, taking a deep breath to steady myself.